• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Contractor Talk Forum moderation

Well, if anyone does go to that site; be sure and scroll down to the bottom and see how many members they have, how many threads and posts. Over 98,000 members, 131, 000 threads and over a million posts. Are you sure you want to p i s s off that many contractors and builders when we are trying to get respect and new members here? Seems very counter productive to me. They seem to me to be a solid, well-established and respected site. It would be nice if some of them would find our site useful, friendly and helpful; instead of hateful.

To be more exact about the statictics:

Threads: 131,964 Posts: 1,810,679 Memebers 98,934

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
UB perhaps you should invite them over. I don't believe there is a single person here that is hateful. I was a contractor builder and developer for quite a number of years before I came to the dark side. There are good and bad contractors just like there are good and bad inspectors. So visit the site and invite them in. They could all use some education form here.

It may have been all in jest, but think of the impression it makes on visitors to this site. Not very professional jesting. IMO

That forum is exclusive to contractors. I filled out the registration until I came to a required field that told me to pick either contractor or homeowner. I'm not a contractor but I am a homeowner so I picked homeowner. I was immediately banned.

I wasn't planning on being a problem.

I did look around the site some. The questions were sorta lame. Like the contractor that asked what size GEC to install for a 100 amp service....and damn, they won't let me in.

I could have shown them this handiwork done by one of their fellow contractors. A big outfit too. They installed a service upgrade and this sub-panel in a garage.

This is a sample of the wiring in this garage.

There's a bunch of it. Much of it cant be seen....but I can smell it.

This contractor had no problem heating all this stuff up and then going home.

This was one of 16 inspections today. I love it when I am busy. This job got 12 corrections. The one correction about the garage wiring said to remove it....get a permit....start over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent not sure if you are a contractor or inspector. In either case we all need to work towards common ground. If you are an inspector,thenwe have all had bad experiences with contractors. They most likely out weight the good ones.

It's not what we do, it's how we do it. I think most contractors want to do a good job, I believe one of ours is education. I have'nt heard anything hatefull here in a long time. Some contractors don't like being told it's wrong and get their knickers notted, sometimes explaining why it's wrong goes a long way instead of just saying it's wrong. enough said

my father was a contractor and so was i. He hated inspectors and i didn't . i became an inspector after he died. finis!

RJJ said:
Brent not sure if you are a contractor or inspector. In either case we all need to work towards common ground. If you are an inspector,thenwe have all had bad experiences with contractors. They most likely out weight the good ones.
Tongue in cheek. I really only hate gun control, crappy beer, and this one electrician. Other than that I'm pretty much GTG.

THe inspectors I have respected the most were pretty damn tough, but completely objective. Ill relate some stories in another thread.

Bad inspectors Re the ones that try to Inforce opinion rather than code. I fight against that, and also do not respect contractors, of any size, that are corner cutters. I'm not talking about maybe letting some things slide a little but those that actively wallow in crappy work.

Brent.

Brent point taken and I would have to agree. I get calls almost everyday regarding junk that is being made up and not code. A good inspector will understand that he/she need only enforce the code. If they have a question go back and read the section. "FIRST"