• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

converting shipping containers to housing.

I'm a building inspector.
Gotcha, hence the name “Inspector Gadget” - that was a great cartoon, by the way!

I have considered a retirement gig teaching myself how to use some kind of design software and doing design, mind you. It's not like the bar is set very high around here.
A retirement gig doing some design work at your convenience would be cool. A friend who is retired is going out of his mind not having a job - seriously affecting his mental health, unfortunately. I told him he needs a job - not full time, just a little something instead of watching the news all day and worrying about things.

Teaching yourself to use some kind of design software is definitely doable, I taught myself two drafting applications and one modeling application on my own by referencing the user manuals or training videos.

Teaching yourself to use some kind of design software is definitely doable, I taught myself two drafting applications and one modeling application on my own by referencing the user manuals or training videos.

I gave a stab at something - I can't recall what - and it didn't mesh with me. Maybe it's my age. In younger days I learnificated all sorts of things - photoshop, Quark, and at one point, Indesign. I think part of the issue is that I don't want to play an arm and a leg for software that I might not use very often....

I gave a stab at something - I can't recall what - and it didn't mesh with me. Maybe it's my age.
I don’t know you, but I don’t think it’s your age, new dogs can learn new tricks. Personally, I believe if you have the desire and determination to learn the software you can learn it.

When I learned my first CAD application I remember sitting down and thinking, “OK, time to use this to draw a floor plan…how do I draw a line?” Found the icon, learned how to set the length, and I could draw a line. Then I had to learn how to offset the line, join two lines, create notes, draw an arc for a door swing, add dimensions, et cetera - step by step and before long I was productive with the software.

I think part of the issue is that I don't want to play an arm and a leg for software that I might not use very often....
I can completely relate to the concern regarding the cost of software. But there are applications that aren’t too bad, the CAD software I use (HighDesign by Ilexsoft) has a $149 LT version, $349 for their mid-level software, and $499 for the pro version - all permanent licenses and not subscriptions.

If you get bored and want to play around with a modeler you can try the free version of formZ, go on YouTube and search for “formZ The 30 minute model” and follow along with that video. I did that, the software was much easier to use than I expected. The video was done with an older version of the software, I don’t know how much the interface has changed to know if it will be difficult to find the same tools in the newer version.

CMS Intellicad is fully compatible with AutoCAD and does everything AutoCAD does for a lot less - $279.95.

I use VisualCADD, which is based on the old Generic CADD and is very easy to use. It's pricier, but well worth the $529.95.

CMS Intellicad is fully compatible with AutoCAD and does everything AutoCAD does for a lot less - $279.95.
I worked for a firm that had IntelliCAD on their laptop, I used it a few times, it pretty much seemed to be a clone of AutoCAD it was so similar.

CAD is such a big part of my work that cost isn’t the primary concern for me, I want to use something that I think works well and that I can enjoy using.

CAD is such a big part of my work that cost isn’t the primary concern for me, I want to use something that I think works well and that I can enjoy using.
Agree. But now retired AutoDESK subscriptions are not affordable, and Inspector G was talking about retirement work. (Luckily I had a perpetual AutoCAD license and suits me fine for projects around the house.)

Agree. But now retired AutoDESK subscriptions are not affordable, and Inspector G was talking about retirement work. (Luckily I had a perpetual AutoCAD license and suits me fine for projects around the house.)
I’m not a fan of subscriptions, fortunately all the software I want or need is available with permanent licenses. Offering software on a subscription-only basis would be like car manufacturers getting together and agreeing that they will stop selling cars and only leasing cars. I don’t think people would stand for that yet they accept it with their software.

If I was on a shoestring budget I’d just do my drawings by hand and make chipboard study models if needed. A few years ago I did a little vacation cabin for a couple and for some reason I felt like doing a few quick and dirty chipboard study models showing some options - they loved them and the models were really helpful in our meeting, I wasn’t expecting such a positive response.

I’m not a fan of subscriptions, fortunately all the software I want or need is available with permanent licenses. Offering software on a subscription-only basis would be like car manufacturers getting together and agreeing that they will stop selling cars and only leasing cars. I don’t think people would stand for that yet they accept it with their software.

If I was on a shoestring budget I’d just do my drawings by hand and make chipboard study models if needed. A few years ago I did a little vacation cabin for a couple and for some reason I felt like doing a few quick and dirty chipboard study models showing some options - they loved them and the models were really helpful in our meeting, I wasn’t expecting such a positive response.
I try to avoid subscription software also. Luckily I retired about last year of both AutoCAD and QuickBooks perpetual licenses, and they still work fine.