• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Conveyor Opening through Fire Wall

jpg7878

I am wondering what options there are for protecting a conveyor opening through a 2-hour rated fire wall. I have discovered several "fire door" options from a company called Stobich, and I'm curious if there are any other tested options that I can look into that would meet the requirement of a protected opening.

# # = # #

Welcome jpg7878, ...to the Building Codes Forum !

You may want to contact 3M or Hilti and ask for their guidance.
I could not find a specific product just for Conveyor Systems,
but that doesn't mean that there aren't any out there.

"IF" there aren't any specific designed products, you may want
to request an Engineering Judgment ( EJ ) from a licensed Fire
Protection Engineer........Some sort of design that fully encloses
the conveyor system as it penetrates the rated assembly, with
heat & smoke sensors on both sides of the penetration........The
sensors could activate sprinklers \ intumescent sealants \ etc.
that would shut down the conveyor system and fully seal the
penetration.

# # = # #

I know of a major e-commerce company that use firewalls on the exterior of the high rise sort center and splits the conveyor at the firewall and then sequences the conveyance to ensure the product is not in the opening so it is not in the roll down door opening, all conected to the fire alarm

I know of a major e-commerce company that use firewalls on the exterior of the high rise sort center and splits the conveyor at the firewall and then sequences the conveyance to ensure the product is not in the opening so it is not in the roll down door opening, all conected to the fire alarm
That's why I know of that it can be done successfully to meet the code requirements for a 2 hour rated wall. I've seen it done that way several different places in high hazard areas such as a synthetic polymer plant and a tire manufacturing plant.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I will look into 3M or Hilti and see if they can do anything for my situation. Unfortunately I cannot split the conveyor. This is in a wastewater treatment plant, and the material being conveyed along an open belt conveyor is sludge (poo). I'm also trying to look into a deluge system at the opening, but I can't find anything indicating a system like that could replace a 2-hour opening protective. Our PM mentioned he spoke to someone at a fire protection engineering company who said they have been able to get a deluge system approved in this state for a similar application. Is that something an engineering judgement could provide? Thanks again.

Our PM mentioned he spoke to someone at a fire protection engineering company who said they have been able to get a deluge system approved in this state for a similar application. Is that something an engineering judgement could provide? Thanks again.
It may be possible depending on the fire load in the vicinity but it's going to take quite a bit of water depending on the opening size. I've never seen it done however and I've been around a lot of high fire load fire protection systems.

I actually saw a demonstration of that product one time and the expansion ratio is quite impressive. The problem was that the material we were conveying was flammable to a degree flow could be certified for use for us.

We have discussed this before