• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cooktop Vent Violation

“”Now the contractor is telling her, the
Inspector states the new cooktop/vent is in some kind of code violation and we should
replace the new cooktop with the original Premier style unit. “”
That information was second hand, coming from the GC. It didn't make sense to me and is why I decided to go directly to the inspector.

Has the code or manufacturers manual changed since the original cooktop was installed?
Where does the vent daylight too, is it below the finish floor?
How is water prevented from entering from the outside?
The cooktop/vent are located on an island in the kitchen. The duct runs under the slab (6" PVC) outside it turns vertically to about 18" above grade and is protected by a rain cap - this is all to code and is not what the inspector is finding fault with.
His specific statement was that the vent was not to be used with an open flame gas cooktop per the manufacturer's installation manual.
I suspect he may have grabbed the manual from the original vent (which was a cheap model). The previous homeowner left all the manuals in a kitchen drawer so it is a possibility.
I have contacted GE directly and they told me they will do a little research and give me a definitive answer shortly - I wanted to do this to be sure before I confronted the inspector again...I'm a mechanical engineer, and as you may know, we're a pretty anal bunch. Funny thing, my company holds a mechanical contractor's license in the State of Florida.
Vent Installer's Manual: http://products.geappliances.com/Ma...RequestType=PDF&Name=49-80777-1_HIRESr1s0.pdf
See pages 9 & 12 where installing the vent with the Monogram cooktop is specifically addressed.

Gordon:
Why don't you detail your proposed installation on your company's letterhead and affix your mechanical engineer's stamp. Most reasonable AHJs will accept an engineer's detail over any prescriptive regulation. Of course, if you are dealing with an unreasonable CBO this may not work.

GE Tech Support sent me a definitive Email that the downdraft vent is absolutely compatible with the Monogram cooktop so come Monday morning I will be sending the inspector an Email with all the evidence I have collected, I can't see how he will not sign off on the installation given the information I have...we will see.
BTW, Tech support also questioned where he was getting this information from and stated that he was mistaken.
Fingers crossed.

OK, it's been more than a month and I know you guys have been on pins and needles waiting to see how this turns out! LOL
I sent an Email to the Boca Building Dept. outlining the pertinent parts from the Installers Manual and the Email from GE Tech Support.
I received a reply from the Mechanical Inspector stating that he never saw this manual leading me to believe someone left the manual from the old downdraft laying around and that is what he based his determination on. We left the new (correct) manual with the downdraft and scheduled an appointment for a new inspection, voila! He approved the installation.
I thought we were done (silly me). It turns out that although every aspect of the rough mechanical permit has been approved, the FINAL mechanical permit has yet to be approved. I'm not sure if this is just a formality or if there is something more we need to do...I guess I'll be contacting the Building Dept. once again on Monday....it never ends!

OK, it's been more than a month and I know you guys have been on pins and needles waiting to see how this turns out! LOL
I sent an Email to the Boca Building Dept. outlining the pertinent parts from the Installers Manual and the Email from GE Tech Support.
I received a reply from the Mechanical Inspector stating that he never saw this manual leading me to believe someone left the manual from the old downdraft laying around and that is what he based his determination on. We left the new (correct) manual with the downdraft and scheduled an appointment for a new inspection, viola! he approved the installation.
I thought we were done (silly me). It turns out that although every aspect of the rough mechanical permit has been approved, the FINAL mechanical permit has yet to be approved. I'm not sure if this is just a formality or if there is something more we need to do...I guess I'll be contacting the Building Dept. once again on Monday....it never ends!

Your government at work

The cooktop/vent are located on an island in the kitchen. The duct runs under the slab (6" PVC) outside it turns vertically to about 18" above grade and is protected by a rain cap - this is all to code and is not what the inspector is finding fault with.
His specific statement was that the vent was not to be used with an open flame gas cooktop per the manufacturer's installation manual.
I suspect he may have grabbed the manual from the original vent (which was a cheap model). The previous homeowner left all the manuals in a kitchen drawer so it is a possibility.
I have contacted GE directly and they told me they will do a little research and give me a definitive answer shortly - I wanted to do this to be sure before I confronted the inspector again...I'm a mechanical engineer, and as you may know, we're a pretty anal bunch. Funny thing, my company holds a mechanical contractor's license in the State of Florida.
Vent Installer's Manual: http://products.geappliances.com/Ma...RequestType=PDF&Name=49-80777-1_HIRESr1s0.pdf
See pages 9 & 12 where installing the vent with the Monogram cooktop is specifically addressed.

My guess would be that he was referencing an open burner and not a sealed burner as your cook top is