• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Copper question

cda

Sawhorse 123
Anyone seen a copper or partial copper fire sprinkler system new install with in the last few years?????

FM William Burns said:
What is your definition of "few years" had a couple installed in late 90's and mid 2000's
what setting was the copper used in???

The company I work for does parts of systems in copper all the time. It's been a while (at least a couple years) since we did an entire system in copper, but I see copper pipe all the time. As far as I know, we are one of the very few companies that uses copper at all.

In a MRI room done 3 yeas ago in my town the sprinkler piping had to be copper, as well as all metal had to be non magnetic, because of the extreme magnetic field.

NFPA 13 list specifaction for cooper tube to be used in sprinkler systems

Cda,

All I've been a part of have been light hazard (Universities, Assembly and Business Occupancies) and as the Commish said, 13 is specific as to where and how copper (and other materials/tubing) can be used in in the design and installation of fire sprinkler systems.

A company is Trying to get about eight heads in a thirty foot Diamter dome by about twenty feet high

No attic area and exposed pipe would mess up the pretty picture

They do have some channels to hide the pipe in before they sheet rock

We had a school retrofit a system about a year and a half ago. They used exposed copper in the cafeteria following beams in a vaulted ceiling (natural wood look). Turned out pretty nice. That's the only one I've seen around here at all.