• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Copyright in Architectural Works: What You Need to Know

conarb said:
I agree with the 5th Circuit that once a code is adopted into statute or ordinance it has entered the public domain, but the Supremes won't address that issue for fear of overturning the apple cart, so they may want to leave these overarching copyright laws stand as well.
Once again, the thread is "Copyright in Architectural Works", not code works.

Mark said:
Once again, the thread is "Copyright in Architectural Works", not code works.
Mark:

You are not following me, I am just bringing up the code and zoning situations to show that my opinion doesn't necessarily run with the Supreme Court's, at this point I'd say that under Federal law there is no exemption for architectural works but there is an exception for statutes creating copyright protection, California has attempted to do that (and maybe other states I don't know), but I do not believe it right that transparency in government is compromised to force government agencies to help architects enforce their civil copyright remedies.