• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Crawl space - absent vapor barrier

Given:

I am not the AHJ but the designer for this project.
Applicable code: 2012 IRC R408
Contractor/developer wants to have only three large vents for the crawl space where highlighted in orange. None of these are located within 3 feet of the building corners.
Building location is in the most arid climate of Arizona where ground moisture is not a concern.

Question:

I have designed a hybrid solution that shows exposed earth where there will be minimal ventilation. For the corners of the crawl space that do not have vents located within 3 feet of the corners, I have called for vapor barrier to cover the earth - which is what is required for a non-vented crawl space. The contractor insists that nobody uses vapor barrier in crawl spaces because it is not practical / needed in this arid climate. Is that really okay?

Attachments

• VaporBarrier.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Vapor barriers in just the corners is a waste of money. Any moisture from the soil will be evenly distributed in the crawl space. I believe the most effective solution is to provide ventilation.

% ~ % ~ %

Bay Point,

Is there some applicable Code section, or local
Ordinance that would not require the vents to
be located within 3 ft. of the corners ?.......If not,
then install as the Code section requires.........The
contractor does not have a legal position to

override the adopted Codes or Ordinances.

% ~ % ~ %

The 2021 IRC section 408.2 has an exception for vents within 3 ft. from corners where the ground is covered with a class 1 vapor retarder and vents are placed to provide cross ventilation.