• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Crawl Space Protection

In one-hour fire-resistance rated floor assemblies, the ceiling membrane is not required to be installed over unuseable crawl spaces. Section 712.3.3.

If the celing membrane is not required even when the floor assembly is required to be a fire-rated asemblies, why would it be required for non rated assemblies? This is of course assuming that the crawl space is actually a crawl space and not a useable space.

Section 712.3.3.

Is all about horizontal fire rated assemblies. You would be absolutely correct in saying that the crawl space does not need a rated horizontal assembly, that however has nothing to do with draftstopping. The draftstopping does not have to necessarily be horizontal or rated, though if the floor is dirt it would be hard to allow vertical blocking.

Coug Dad

Do the tenant separation walls extend down into the crawl space?

If not, I think you need to sprinkler the crawl space or draftstop in line with the dwelling or sleeping unit separations above per 717.3.2 (06 IBC).

Coug Dad

Do the tenant separation walls extend down into the crawl space?

If not, I think you need to sprinkler the crawl space or draftstop in line with the dwelling or sleeping unit separations above per 717.3.2 (06 IBC).

Perhaps I'm missing something here. Draftstopping shall be provided in R-1, R-2 buildings with three or more units, and in R-3 buildings with two dwelling units.

I thought the whole premise of this thread was that this was a single R-3 dwelling.

Perhaps now it has been determined that this is actually a 'Use Group R-2' dormitory as noted in Section 310.1. In that case it would appear that draftstopping or sprinklers would be required. Section 717.3.2.

Big Mac said:
Perhaps I'm missing something here. Draftstopping shall be provided in R-1, R-2 buildings with three or more units, and in R-3 buildings with two dwelling units.I thought the whole premise of this thread was that this was a single R-3 dwelling.
30 occupant load = R-2