• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Crawlspace installations - new code

Olympichvac

Hi,

I recently installed a furnace in a crawlspace in oakland, ca. When pulling the mechanical permit, one of the inspectors advised me that the city is enforcing a new code pertaining to crawlspace installations......that if the floor joists above are larger than 2×8, the entire crawlspace would have to be sheetrocked. I thought he was kidding me but he was not.

On my inspection day 2 inspectors came by and before looking at the job, they again warned me about this code. First thing they did was to measure the joists and I was at 6" and therefore exempt

I asked the to cite me the code section this falls under and one inspector said he'd email me the next day but never did. The explanation I got from them that day was that a fireman had fallen through a floor during a fire and died a few years ago.

This is no joke and ongoing because I have friends who have pulled permits recently and all were advised of same thing. I had one customer elect to install new furnace in Attic instead of crawlspace where old furnace is because the building dept said this code would be enforced on them due to having 2×10 floor joist.

I searched online but cannot find any such ridiculous code like this.

Might want to go to the head person and push for the code section the inspectors are requiring this from.

2012 IRC R501.3 Fire protection of floors. This was moved to R302.13 Fire protection of floors in the 2015 edition of the IRC.

2013 CRC R501.3. http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2015_CALIFORNIA/2013 CALIFORNIA RESIDENTIAL CODE, SUPPLEMENT JULY 2015/Chapter 5 - Floors.pdf
This is no joke and ongoing because I have friends who have pulled permits recently and all were advised of same thing. I had one customer elect to install new furnace in Attic instead of crawlspace where old furnace is because the building dept said this code would be enforced on them due to having 2×10 floor joist.

Your inspector needs to be retrained .

Exception 4.
Wood floor assemblies using dimension lumber or structural composite lumber equal to or greater than 2-inch by 10-inch (50.8 mm by 254 mm) nominal dimension, or other approved floor assemblies demonstrating equivalent fire performance.

Reactions: JBI
So you can have an electric heater in the crawl space and not have to Sheetrock??

Strange... Crawlspace is not considered a habitable room and he indicated that the floor joist were 2x's not I-joist.

Ask the inspector where you could get a good deal on some drywall? Maybe his Uncle has a drywall supply business?

2012 IRC Table R302.6 No requirement, check California Building Code for addendum's

pc1

I am skeptical about them making someone rock the underside of floor joists when an existing floor furnace is replaced. What a nightmare that would be.

2012 IRC Table R302.6 No requirement, check California Building Code for addendum's
That's because that table is for separation between the dwelling and the garage.
TABLE R302.6 DWELLING/GARAGE SEPARATION
The requirement is in Section R501.3 in 2012, both IRC and CRC. It was moved to R302.13 in the 2015 IRC.

roger thanks for pointing that out, I used the wrong table.

So you can have an electric heater in the crawl space and not have to Sheetrock??

R501.3 Exception
#2 Crawlspace, leads you to believe an electric furnace is exempt from the requirement of drywall.

#4 indicated lumber equal to or greater than 2x10

Looks like your right i went back and re-read it. But still believe that if 2X10 or larger no rock should be only 2X10 or smaller.

R501.1 Application.
The provisions of this chapter shall control the design and construction of the floors for all buildings including the floors of attic spaces used to house mechanical or plumbing fixtures and equipment.

The IRC is a construction code. I believe the intent of Chapter 5 is for new construction and not to be applied during a mechanical change out or new mechanical system installed in an existing structure. The codes have always recognized that if it was code compliant when it was built it is code compliant today. Nothing in the mechanical prohibits the installation of mechanical equipment in existing crawlspaces or the installation of gyp-board on the floor joist.

Just how do the expect to get the drywall into the crawlspace?

I think mtlogcabin has a valid point and that it would be very difficult to enforce the new code on an existing construction.

I believe the code change was for the I-joist installs to give added time protection to the firefighter when hauling you out.

R501.1 Application.
The provisions of this chapter shall control the design and construction of the floors for all buildings including the floors of attic spaces used to house mechanical or plumbing fixtures and equipment.

The IRC is a construction code. I believe the intent of Chapter 5 is for new construction and not to be applied during a mechanical change out or new mechanical system installed in an existing structure. The codes have always recognized that if it was code compliant when it was built it is code compliant today. Nothing in the mechanical prohibits the installation of mechanical equipment in existing crawlspaces or the installation of gyp-board on the floor joist.

Just how do the expect to get the drywall into the crawlspace?

I think mtlogcabin has a valid point and that it would be very difficult to enforce the new code on an existing construction.

I believe the code change was for the I-joist installs to give added time protection to the firefighter when hauling you out.

Agreed. ;)

Also agreed....But touch the badge still wins out alot of places....Maybe the FD will cut a hole into the crawlspace with their demo saw to get the drywall in if they want it so badly....

Me too, but steveray also nailed it, sounds like a gung-ho inspector on the loose in the OP. And yes, 2 X 10 and above solid sawn, gets a pass.

Reactions: JBI
There's more to being an inspector than just the code.

I would let them go without heat before I would cause someone to spend a week under a sixty year old house.

If an inspector told me that I had to rock the underside of the floor joists in a crawlspace I would ask him if it needs to be taped. And I would never call them again. And to think that people are paying attention to such lunacy. Of course that's just me. I don't recommend that anyone listen to me.

If the house has a floor furnace it is old and probably not much over 1500 sqft. That would be 47 sheets of drywall.....cut in strips.....and you'll need another ten sheets because a bunch of it got destroyed dragging it around under a house. And then you can bet that the inspector said "Oh yes it needs to be taped".

This is about as ridiculous as the electrician and his brick stem foundation wall.

Last edited:
I knew I was going to get all kinds of responses on how crazy this code may sound. So I got some clarification from a fellow contractor who went to the building department last week. I was wrong on my original post and the actual code states that if the floor joist are less then a "true 2x8" then that is when this sheetrocking is to be enforced. So a 2x8 this is actually 1.5 x 7.5 would be required to sheetrock the crawlspace. An inspector told me what some contractors are doing is building an encloser around the furnace that is sheetrocked, so that seems to satisfy the code.

As ridiculous as this sounds, I will find out soon because today I just finished installing a furnace and ductwork in a crawlspace that has floor joist that are 7.5". But on my proposal, I stated I was not responsible if sheetrocking was required on this job, that the general contractor would have to do it. Will find out soon when I schedule my inspection.'

Thanks for reading