• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Crypto Currency Farm

Marangella said that construction for the datacenter will be minimal, with the company only planning to make a few additions to the existing building. Once the center is operational, Marangella said, it will be a “lights out facility” — basically operating automatically — with almost no foot traffic.

Ok I see one building will be a data center, I am missing what the other buildings will be, But I am guessing not a factory!!

Business Group B occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for office, professional or service-type transactions, including storage of records and accounts. Business occupancies shall include, but not be limited to, the following:

Electronic data processing

Radio and television stations

Telephone exchanges

Not sure what examples are in 2021, maybe IBC needs to add some 2024 examples in that code

Interesting discussion. This seems like the small building they but at the bottom of a cell tower where only workers go in for repairs. We call these "U". If "U" the building might be bigger then allowed.

Interesting discussion. This seems like the small building they but at the bottom of a cell tower where only workers go in for repairs. We call these "U". If "U" the building might be bigger then allowed.

We have three similar

two are about 45,000 sq ft

and one three story about 10,000 per floor

Not doubting, just looking for education. What part of the OP makes this clearly B? Based on the description I could see F as pretty applicable. I'm also wondering because we have a big project permitted in our town, not big in size, but big in $ and function, and they classified the majority of it as F.
It is "Electronic data processing". That's what computers are.
And that is listed under "B".
The listing under "B" does not say people doing "Electronic data processing"

A cryptocurrency farm is the same as a building that contains the "cloud storage" is Processes and stores data. It is a low hazard.

Reactions: cda
"Processing" as in data processing. Factory seems analogous to me, there's a bunch of machines doing work with minimal human input. I get that B doesn't clearly say people, but the use of that phrasing in B occupancy comes from a time when data processing meant a bunch of computers in an office with people. When I think about typical B occupancies I've seen compared to F's it's easier for me to fit what I'm seeing built into a "factory" like setting and not an "office". And just to clarify, the designers were the ones who classified it as F.

Telephone exchanges are also bunch of machines doing work with minimal human input. They were originally a lot of operators plugging wires into sockets, then transitioned to electro-mechanical with a lot of relays, but are now electronic like a giant computer. The only occupants are repair technicians. They are B and not F.

IBC 1004.5 Exception does allow the building official to approve lesser occupant loads. Just discuss it beforehand and provide a good justification so he won't have to stick his neck out to approve it.

You are implying that the designers know the code
"Processing" as in data processing. Factory seems analogous to me, there's a bunch of machines doing work with minimal human input. I get that B doesn't clearly say people, but the use of that phrasing in B occupancy comes from a time when data processing meant a bunch of computers in an office with people. When I think about typical B occupancies I've seen compared to F's it's easier for me to fit what I'm seeing built into a "factory" like setting and not an "office". And just to clarify, the designers were the ones who classified it as F.
factory a building or group of buildings where goods are manufactured or assembled chiefly by machine.
A factory, is a manufacturing plant or a production plant is an industrial site, often a complex consisting of several buildings filled with machinery, where workers manufacture items or operate machines which process each item into another item.

In a Crypto Currency Farm, You are not Manufacturing or assembling anything

Last edited:

In a Crypto Currency Farm, You are not Manufacturing or assembling anything

Arent they manufavturing ... creating ... currency?

Sidebar ... saw in the news yesterday that 2 brothers in South Africa absconded with over a billion in cryptocoins. And a year ago a similar thing happened, also in south africa.

Arent they manufavturing ... creating ... currency?

Sidebar ... saw in the news yesterday that 2 brothers in South Africa absconded with over a billion in cryptocoins. And a year ago a similar thing happened, also in south Africa.
Its all a pyramid scheme, Fraud. Not based on anything.
"creating ... currency?" So that means, as an Architect, I am Fabricating a building in my office? So now my office is a "F"?

You are implying that the designers know the code
Haha of course they do! No I was just clarifying that it was submitted that way and nobody ever changed it. I am not the Building Official and at the time the BO did not change or question the occupancy. Of course now we don't have a BO... again... I've worked under five different BO's in four years.

All I was really getting at is that what I'm seeing being built looks and feels a lot more like a Factory than a Business. There is a little office area (classified as B) but it is separated by a fire rated door and wall assembly. When this is done it will clearly look and feel different between the two spaces. The offices will be traditional with windows, desks, carpet, and kept nice and cozy. Going from there into the "data center" will feel like walking into a refrigerator, it will be very loud and uncomfortable. It will be slab, no windows, and nowhere to sit/work. It's going to have rows and rows of massive stacks of computers all crammed in tight, with conduits running all over the place, and the whole thing will be wrapped in a faraday cage. I can't wait to see it finished, very few people will ever get to see inside, it's going to have heavy security. A new fiberoptic line is coming across from Singapore and landing here, and this will be "cloud space" too. What's really interesting is the project manager said basically they are renting digital space and selling electricity. Big power company connection and four different back-up generators. It's pretty cool to get to see all of this from start to finish.

Haha of course they do! No I was just clarifying that it was submitted that way and nobody ever changed it. I am not the Building Official and at the time the BO did not change or question the occupancy. Of course now we don't have a BO... again... I've worked under five different BO's in four years.

All I was really getting at is that what I'm seeing being built looks and feels a lot more like a Factory than a Business. There is a little office area (classified as B) but it is separated by a fire rated door and wall assembly. When this is done it will clearly look and feel different between the two spaces. The offices will be traditional with windows, desks, carpet, and kept nice and cozy. Going from there into the "data center" will feel like walking into a refrigerator, it will be very loud and uncomfortable. It will be slab, no windows, and nowhere to sit/work. It's going to have rows and rows of massive stacks of computers all crammed in tight, with conduits running all over the place, and the whole thing will be wrapped in a faraday cage. I can't wait to see it finished, very few people will ever get to see inside, it's going to have heavy security. A new fiberoptic line is coming across from Singapore and landing here, and this will be "cloud space" too. What's really interesting is the project manager said basically they are renting digital space and selling electricity. Big power company connection and four different back-up generators. It's pretty cool to get to see all of this from start to finish.
A "B" is not Just an Office.

A "B" is not Just an Office.
No, it could be a bank or small retail space, it could be a massage parlor or a dentist. I get that. All I'm saying is an F occupancy could make sense depending on how it's designed. It makes sense on the project I'm inspecting. Do you see a problem classifying it as an F?

No, it could be a bank or small retail space, it could be a massage parlor or a dentist. I get that. All I'm saying is an F occupancy could make sense depending on how it's designed. It makes sense on the project I'm inspecting. Do you see a problem classifying it as an F?

More money more money more money

But to qualify, that is a guess

Its all a pyramid scheme, Fraud. Not based on anything.
"creating ... currency?" So that means, as an Architect, I am Fabricating a building in my office? So now my office is a "F"?
Yes it is a ponzi.
As an architect, you are fabricating ... creating ... drawings. You just happen to heed more creature comforts than other factory settings.

We have one of the cell providers super centers and same thing

cool, but lit up, with enough power back up power and back up to the back up power.
A bunch of racks fill the room
They just added another half of building to it.

We have one of the cell providers super centers and same thing

cool, but lit up, with enough power back up power and back up to the back up power.
A bunch of racks fill the room
They just added another half of building to it.
Telephone exchanges; B-Occupancy

Ok, since they labeled it

Currency Farm

I will go with “U”

312.1 General

Buildings and structures of an accessory character and miscellaneous structures not classified in any specific occupancy shall be constructed, equipped and maintained to conform to the requirements of this code commensurate with the fire and life hazard incidental to their occupancy. Group U shall include, but not be limited to, the following:

I would recommend an F occupancy."...for assembling, disassembling, fabricating, finishing, manufacturing, packaging, repair or processing operations that are not classified as a Group H hazardous or Group S storage occupancy." They are definitely processing data (and using a lot of energy to do so), but it's the computers doing the work, not people, so B doesn't make sense to me. It's definitely not just storage, and it shouldn't be hazardous, so F makes sense.

We have a large data center under construction and the occupancy is shown on the plans as "F-1 and B", B for the two small offices and bathrooms, F-1 for the rest. I think they could have gone F-2 but no complaints here.
I am reviewing one here locally. For the bathrooms, did you use the factory line in the IPC? I wonder if for the sake of toilet rooms I could say it's a group U or other type of unoccupied structure. There are some toilet rooms available in an adjacent building on an accessible route within 500' that a service technician has access to. Mine has nothing but servers. Mine has also been classified as F-2.

I am reviewing one here locally. For the bathrooms, did you use the factory line in the IPC? I wonder if for the sake of toilet rooms I could say it's a group U or other type of unoccupied structure. There are some toilet rooms available in an adjacent building on an accessible route within 500' that a service technician has access to. Mine has nothing but servers. Mine has also been classified as F-2.
One building only on this job and they were converting an existing building that had two ADA bathrooms already. They probably could have gotten away with only one based on the new occupancy, and I assume they would have had to use the B occupancy line because the bathrooms serve both occupancies. But they had two so they preserved them.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB