• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cut Here to Exit

I wok in a building that has a security system where it only lets you exit if you touch the door handle with your bear hands. If you have gloves on you can't get out. I'm not sure if this meets code for egress.It's cold and I don't like going out without my gloves on. I do a Micheal Jackson and have one glove on.

Rick18071 said:
I wok in a building ...bear hands.
work? bare?

tumblr_inline_mhoidkoKaL1qfnehg.jpg

Requires pinching......not approved....and they are not leftys

1008.1.8.1 Hardware.

Door handles, pulls, latches, locks and other operating devices on doors required to be accessible by Chapter 11 shall not require tight grasping, tight pinching or twisting of the wrist to operate

Maybe bolt cutters would work better than scissors- they wouldn't require tight grasping, pinching, or rotating the wrist, and would get through the tape with one operation.

Paul Sweet said:
they wouldn't require tight grasping, pinching, or rotating the wrist, and would get through the tape with one operation.
Have you ever used bolt cutters?

You know, I was thinking about a side topic of this today.

US, in residential, there tends to be this desire for egressable windows first and fall hazard concern second.

Typically the arguement falls back on being able to readily egress this and that seems to impede efforts to provide fall hazard protection.

however as I was opening some windows for purposes of ventilation and thinking back to those arguments. I couldn't help but realize that with the windows latched, with the bug screen in place, etc. the effort, knowledge and physical requirements of what is there already negates the argument against having limiters on these windows.

Or

Alternatively, preventing the bees and misquitos from entering my house through an open window.

Obviously the concern with your photos isn't keeping people in, but rather out.

So this is more of about the quality of hardware. As it is glazed, not so much concern towards breaking and entering.

Rick18071 said:
I wok in a building
I saw this before I saw who wrote it. I immediately thought it was fatboy. Why is it always about food with you fatboy?