• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cut load bearing studs

Squidmarx

I have some contractors who just put in a new load bearing wall in a second story dormer. In this load bearing wall they have studs that have been cut all the way through bearing load (note they are not notched out or over bored; it literally looks like they took a circular saw, cut through the bottom of the studs and left the pieces sitting on top of the bottom pieces. Each of these cut studs has sistered 2x4s around the bottom bit where it has been cut (one on each side). Is this against code? It looks unsafe and these guys have cut many corners and I think they left it like this to avoid paying for new studs.

Wow. Somebody couldn’t read the plans, or the tape measure, or both. And tried to scab it back together. That’s a fail.

What no code sections? I guess they could get an engineer.....

R602.3 Design and construction. Exterior walls of woodframe
construction shall be designed and constructed in
accordance with the provisions of this chapter and Figures
R602.3(1) and R602.3(2), or in accordance with AWC NDS.
Components of exterior walls shall be fastened in accordance
with Tables R602.3(1) through R602.3(4). Wall sheathing
shall be fastened directly to framing members and, where
placed on the exterior side of an exterior wall, shall be capable
of resisting the wind pressures listed in Table R301.2(2)
adjusted for height and exposure using Table R301.2(3) and
shall conform to the requirements of Table R602.3(3). Wall
sheathing used only for exterior wall covering purposes shall
comply with Section R703.
Studs shall be continuous from support at the sole plate to a
support at the top plate to resist loads perpendicular to the
wall.
The support shall be a foundation or floor, ceiling or
roof diaphragm or shall be designed in accordance with
accepted engineering practice.

Stand back some and post more pictures. How many times did this happen? Give us an idea of what's being supported.

I have some contractors who just put in a new load bearing wall in a second story dormer.
I would not give them the classification of being called "Contractors".

Brent the "kilted one" would be miffed, I suspect!