• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Damaged I Joists because of drywall removal

It is not unreasonable for a request to have another contractor to complete the work in this case. There is a level of trust between the owner and the contractor that when eroded causes the relationship to become dysfunctional. If I were in your shoes, I would be ensuring another contractor performed the repair work.

Regarding asking permit, am I responsible to get the permit from city for them to have the fix or PuroClean should be responsible for? If it's required city permit and it was recorded by city, I guess it will affect the price of the house if I want to sell it in the future.

Hard to say. Don't know the laws for your area. In my state the owner is responsible and the fine is $1,000 a day when working without a permit. But usually the contractor get's the permit. It would be less worry for you if permitted, inspector should make sure it was done right.

Yeah, I asked my adjuster. They said I can use my contractor who will do the water damage restoration to fix it. Would it be OK to do so or let the insurance take care of the process of putting back the joists to proper condition?
SO. you used a "Public Adjuster" who engaged the "Favored Contractor" who did this?

Sounds like a great deal of Conflict of Interest with the parties involved. You are going to need a Lawyer as well as an Engineer because now the extent of damage hasgotten really complicated.

Careful where this goes!