• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Damaged I Joists because of drywall removal

If you do not have a contract with the contractor, who do they have a contract with? If the insurance company tell the insurance company, they need to fix it and need to provide an engineer's report and obtain a building permit for the repair.

There is a common problem with some contractors, often plumbers, that like to use chain saws and sawzall's without regards to the structural considerations.

This is a serious problem and should be addressed promptly.

While a building inspector should appreciate that there is a problem any fix will require an engineer.
They works with my insurance, so when my house got the incident, my insurance company sent them to my house. I did sign some paperwork to let them work on my house to mitigate the water issue.
Regarding asking permit, am I responsible to get the permit from city for them to have the fix or PuroClean should be responsible for? If it's required city permit and it was recorded by city, I guess it will affect the price of the house if I want to sell it in the future.

You can’t pull the permit in your name, you are not doing the work.

Who is BC company? Are they an engineering company?

Unless puroclean is a licensed general contractor in you4 state, i would not allow them to do the repairs. And even if the6 are a GC i would hesitate to let them do it.

BC is Boise Cascade, the joist manufacturer. Yes, I don't want to do the job as well but the problem is that I need to have it fixed as soon as possible.

PuroClean owner seems to be resistant to say they will do the fix by mentioning that he is a General contractor for 30 years. I would want to hear your opinions on how to talk to this guy to have them hire a proper contractor to do the fix instead of let them do it by himself. Obviously, he tried his best to tell that the issue is minor, he even mentioned that the issue could be fixed with some wood glue or filler.

PuroClean owner seems to be resistant to say they will do the fix by mentioning that he is a General contractor for 30 years. I would want to hear your opinions on how to talk to this guy to have them hire a proper contractor to do the fix instead of let them do it by himself. Obviously, he tried his best to tell that the issue is minor, he even mentioned that the issue could be fixed with some wood glue or filler.
I’m sorry, your English is a problem, i can’t understand some important parts. What are you trying to say here …
owner seems to be resistant to say they will do the fix by mentioning that he is a General contractor

The fact that he mentioned wood glue and filler clearly demonstrates that he is not competent. Have you heard back from boise cascade? Is an engineer going to be visiting, or is that the BC guy?

You need to hire an engineer to design the fix and to help you deal with the building department.

I’m sorry, your English is a problem, i can’t understand some important parts. What are you trying to say here …
owner seems to be resistant to say they will do the fix by mentioning that he is a General contractor

The fact that he mentioned wood glue and filler clearly demonstrates that he is not competent. Have you heard back from boise cascade? Is an engineer going to be visiting, or is that the BC guy?
Sorry for my English here. There was someone from Boise cascade(BC) visiting and taking the measurements on Monday. I'm waiting for a report from BC. What I meant there is that PuroClean wanted to fix the issue by themselves by claiming that he is a General contractor for 30 years. However, for me as a homeowner, it's hard to rely on their service and trust them to do the fix and not causing another problem. There is a conflict of interest here. What your thoughts here? would that make sense to ask PuroClean to hire someone else to fix it?

Boise Cascade may have a field guy that can determine a fix, work with the joist supplier or yard, maybe they can contact BC to see if they have a trouble shooter?

Given the extent of the damage I suspect that Boise Cascade will recommend that the joists be replaced and that any fix will have to come from an independent engineer.

I don’t know anything about PuroClean but hopefully the company has an insurance policy and that is where you need to go with this. If Washington state has a contractor license board that is another entity that should be notified.

Your insurance company sent PuroClean and essentially paid PuroClean to damage your property. That puts them on the hook. Ask them about temporary lodging as the dwelling might be dangerous.

Glue and wood filler LOL

Last edited:
I've been following this. Unless you are certain the insurance company is acting in your best interest - some have for me - get a lawyer involved who only represents you. It might only need a lawyer letter to get it right or even phone calls, but I think you may be at that point. You deserve to be made whole - as good as it was.

Don't be intimidated when they say "I've been doing this for 30 years". If I had a dime for every time someone angrily told me that they have been doing "this" for 20, 30, or sometimes 40 years - while talking about an extremely basic mistake... I could probably retire. It is perhaps the most common excuse we hear for bad work.

The sad thing is, they probably have been.

30 years in business, employee hired last week, first job, maybe??

Was this considered exploratory surgery?

This was untrained unskilled and not thinking labor with inadequate and negligent supervision. I'm a designer and pretty active DIYer, and I would never make that kind of stupid mistake. And if I did - even if just 1 joist - I'd have a temporary support in there ASAP and block entry to floor above and below until supported. I'm happy to be retired partly because of 40 years of designing and seeing the construction, the quality have all gone down hill a lot.

Rant over.

This was untrained unskilled and not thinking labor with inadequate and negligent supervision. I'm a designer and pretty active DIYer, and I would never make that kind of stupid mistake. And if I did - even if just 1 joist - I'd have a temporary support in there ASAP and block entry to floor above and below until supported. I'm happy to be retired partly because of 40 years of designing and seeing the construction, the quality have all gone down hill a lot.

Rant over.
This is closer to "fell off a cliff"

Last edited: