1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

DC shaken not stired

Discussion in 'Residential Seismic' started by mdiasteve, Jul 16, 2010.

1. mdiasteve

mdiasteve Member

How was the big shake down Peach??

2. pwood

pwood Platinum Member

i heard on the radio this morning that it was a 3.2! flatulence in california!

3. Gene Boecker

Gene Boecker Gold Member

Well, it's about the only way to shake things up in Washington!

4. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Not strong enough, we need a "big" one. like an eight to ten.

5. peach

peach Sawhorse

didn't feel it.. heard it... sounded like a big truck or plane... for kind of a long time.. hubby asked "what was that?".. I replied earthquake? thinking I was kidding... it knocked over some code books in the office... one of the other building tenants thought Metro had derailed (again)... we're very near the station that was closed for several days last summer.

6. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

What seismic zone are you down there?

7. peach

peach Sawhorse

close to none... DC is mostly landfill surrounded by some stable high ground.

8. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

Strictly speaking zones are no longer used in the IBC or IRC. Rather the code provisions are tied to the Seismic Design Category which is a function of the certain mapped accelerations, local soil conditions, and the occupancy category.

9. peach

peach Sawhorse

under 2006.. A