• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

dead-end aisle

sunyaer

The following is froom Ontario Building Code, Division B, part 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.3.2.4. Aisles
(14) Dead-end aisles are permitted to be more than 10 m long, but not more than 13 m long if,
(a) the seating area is separated from other seating areas and adjacent occupancies, including a corridor serving any
seating area, by a fire separation in accordance with Sentences 3.3.2.2.(1) and (2),
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is;

Shall the dead-end aisle be separated from other seating areas too? How to separate, use door?

This is not making sense to me. There must be more context. Assembly seating is always in one room, not separated.

I have a close Canadian acquaintance deeply involved with building and fire codes and he has told me the OBC needs help.

Is there a situation where there is a dead-end aisle in theater which is longer than 10 meters and the seating area severed by this aisle has to be fire separated from other seating areas, like in Cineplex?

Is there a situation where there is a dead-end aisle in theater which is longer than 10 meters and the seating area severed by this aisle has to be fire separated from other seating areas, like in Cineplex?
I can't see that at all. I feel they.must be using "separation" differently than fire separation.

This is an OBC only thing.

It would have to be a fire rated separation. I'm having trouble envisioning where this would apply.