• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dead end corridor = 20 feet

Re: Dead end corridor = 20 feet

Coug Dad said:
brudgers, if it is not a corridor, then is its length limited only by a 75 foot common path of travel from the remote point in the restroom?
It would be limited by that regardless of if it's a corridor or not.

vegas paul said:
brudgers - are you saying that an "enclosed exit access component" is the same as an "exit enclosure"? I'm not sure that there is agreement that the "enclosed" nature of a corridor (required per the definition) makes it an enclosure... I always presumed it simply meant that it had defined walls and ceiling, thus enclosing it, vs. a pathway through cubicles, etc.Otherwise, the sketch provided indicates that it is an exit access component (clearly), and it appears enclosed (but not an enclosure!). Comments?
An exit enclosure is not the same thing as an exit access...nor a corridor.

A corridor is an enclosed horizontal exit access component.

An exit enclosure is part of a horizontal or vertical exit.

If it's open at one end, it's not enclosed and not a corridor...which of course is a good thing since it would be hard to meet the ventilation requirements for a corridor with one end open.

brudgers said:
John Drobysh said:
Special request for the Holidays... Can we NOT rehash the same old arguments about ADAAG vs ANSI. Everyone here knows everyone elses position on the subject, so having the same old cyclical arguements at this 'festive' time of year hardly makes sense.
You celebrate your holidays when and how you want.

I'll celebrate mine with similar considerations.

How 'bout we argue as to whether a chimney is a legitimate means of egress? Ho-ho-ho...

Actually Yikes, there is no requirement to use a legitimate MOE, only to provide them... :lol: :lol: :lol:

rktect 1

go with your original thought "no problem" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1018.2.4 Chimney Egress.

An exterior exit doors shall be required for all

chimneys utilized for the purpose of delivering

presents to children. Kris Kringel shalll designate

the chimney in writing for occupancies with

more than one chimney.

Exception:

Chimneys that are capped

The issue in my opinion is non-existent since we are not looking at a corridor. The commentary has been known to be wrong.

As far as the ADA is concerned. You will notice that the ADAAG and ANSI 117.1 is slowly coming together each new cycle. Eventually they will be the same.

The vertical grab bar in the ANSI 117.1 was lobbied by AARP. It does not exist in the ADAAG. You will eventually see it in there too.

I believe one of the changes coming down the road is the elimination of the projection on handrails at the top and bottom. It is causing too many problems as we already know.

"According to IBC and commentary the dead end corridor is measured from one point to another not greater than 20 feet where a person has the option of going in two different directions to reach two different exits."

Next problem?

Uncle Bob

CORRIDOR. An enclosed exit access component that defines

and provides a path of egress travel to an exit.

Show me where it is ENCLOSED

OK, I will, at the risk of making a backside of my self, assume that the following 2 interpretations still exist in the 2006 book of interpretations (someone borrowed mine last week and believes it was a gift - it wasn't!). So somebody here can verify if they are still there.

From the 2000 & 2003 interp books:

Q: Does Section 1016 [1017 in 2006] require exit access corridors to be provided in buildings?A: No. Section 1016 [1017 in 2006] only provides requirements for exit access corridors whenever they are provided in a building. The International Building Code requires access to exits for every building, which can be accomplished by open spaces, aisles or corridors. A corridor is created when the path of travel to an exit is confined, and communication with and observation of adjacent floor areas are restricted.
and, though fire-rated, this is similar

Q: A floor plan, of which a portion is an open plan without corridors and an adjacent portion that is compartmented, contains a corridor that leads to the open plan area. Assuming the corridor enclosure is required to be fire-resistance rated, is it the intent of the code to require that an opening protective be installed at the point where the corridor enters the open area?A: No. The relatively open areas adjacent to the corridor can be considered corridor extensions with rated walls and opening protectives enclosing both the narrow and wide portions of the corridor in a continuous fashion
and from the 2006 commentary for definition of a corridor:

Corridors have walls that extend from the floor to at least the ceiling. They need not extend above the ceiling or have doors in their openings unless a fire-resistance rating is required (see Section 1017). The enclosed character of the corridor restricts the sensory perception of the user. A fire located on the other side of the corridor wall, for example, may not be as readily seen, heard or smelled by the occupants traveling through the egress corridor.
and more from the 2006 commentary for dead ends:

A dead end results whether or not egress elements open into it. A dead end is a hazard for occupants who enter the area from adjacent spaces, travel past an exit into a dead end or enter a dead end with the mistaken assumption that an exit is directly accessible from the dead end.
I know that all this crap I quoted is not code, but, food for thought in making a judgment.

My judgment is that it is a corridor, no rating as the corridor serves an occupant load less than 30 (coming from the toilet rooms), door is not required at the end of the corridor, not a dead end because it starts at the toilet room wall - less than 20' long.

Now as far as that stair is concerned, I might look at 1019.3 and 1020.1 exception 8 or apply the last sentence in 3406.1.

If this area is NOT a corridor, then the minimum width requirements of IBC Section 1017.2 would not be applicable and the only governing requirements would be Table 1005.1 (Egress width per occupant served). If this is not a corridor, then an occupant load of 50 in this occupancy would only require this area to be 10" wide.

If this is not a corridor, then an occupant load of 50 in this occupancy would only require this area to be 10" wide.
Except that:

ICC/ANSI A117.1 and ADAAG would require a minimum width of 36" and because of 90 degree turns into doorways 42" wide.