• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck ledger attachment on brick veneer wall.

So we all agree that you cannot attach a deck ledger to brick to provide support and another method short of a free standing deck in that area is required?

Did someone say "deck"?

jar546 said:
So we all agree that you cannot attach a deck ledger to brick to provide support and another method short of a free standing deck in that area is required?
You can attach to "brick" (i.e. masonry). You can't attach to "brick veneer". You can't use any "veneer" for structural purposes (other than it's own support). Sorry...persnickity, I know...but we've got to be clear for the readers. There are a number of other design options other than freestanding...but you will still be hated by the contractor for not just letting them slap it up over the brick. No one likes to consider a deck a "remodel". They just want to slap it up and think of nothing beyond the ledger. Those times must change. Look at how it's done in new construction. Beams, fully supported in the exterior wall, and running out perpendicular to the soon-to-be installed brick. Another beam is run between the two just in front of the brick. This is similar to how you frame around a brick chimney. The only catch...the 2009/12 ledger connection table does not allow concentrated loads from beams. This is why the beams must be pocketed into the wall for support. This is one such method other than freestanding. Speaking of freestanding...

...they often create more problems than they solve. The knee-jerk idea to go freestanding to bypass ledger issues is often not well thought out. If the deck is low to the ground, freestanding is less of a big deal, but then why not just step the deck down and connect to the foundation. This relieves soooo many issues with the ledger connection to wood framing.

Keystone said:
This product would not solve this specific concern with brick but what is the concensus for this product,Attach-A-Deck. Prevents Deck Ledger Decay to stop deck failure.
This product is well-tested and is a great solution for stucco and EIFS. Same notorious habits there...ledgers slapped right over top...not okay. Deck permits should not be issued unless the exterior cladding has been identifed and appropriately designed for.

Excellent point about brick veneer Glenn. I specifically chose not to use the word veneer for a reason. First, because this thread was started specifically and talks continued specific to veneer, I assumed it was assumed. The next reason that was my biggest factor is that many laypeople read this forum and over the years I have found that many still think of a veneer like the fake brick that is about 3/8" thick and I do not think they know the difference between brick veneer and a brick construction.

jar546 said:
The next reason that was my biggest factor is that many laypeople read this forum and over the years I have found that many still think of a veneer like the fake brick that is about 3/8" thick and I do not think they know the difference between brick veneer and a brick construction.
So true...so true. When I teach the subject of deck ledger connections, I start out by making clear what "adhered veneer" (i.e. thin brick) and "anchored veneer" are, how to determine what you're looking at, and then how to handle it. Gotta start basic and work you're way up from there.

Good stuff...

JLC Deck Ledger Testing

DRP said:
Have you seen the ledger bolting article by Woeste, et al from JLC several years ago? I do remember several spaced ledger assemblies were tested.I got the flier for this conference yesterday, looks to be a good one... they will be discussing this there;Introduction to Structural Design of Wood Buildings per the 2012 NDS - October 10-12, 2012 - Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center - Blacksburg, VADoes Dr Woeste know of this forum?
Article is attached.View attachment 746

JLC Load Tested Ledger Connections Mar 04.pdf

JLC Load Tested Ledger Connections Mar 04.pdf