• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck rail strength and amount of acceptable deflection

I believe you could use this section for deflection requirements for guardrails.

R301.7 Deflection.

The allowable deflection of any structural member under the live load listed in Sections R301.5 and R301.6 or wind loads determined by Section R301.2.1 shall not exceed the values in Table R301.7.

All other structural members L/240

Guardrails are listed in R301.5. there is no definition of a structural member in the IRC. The minimum allowable deflection limit in R301.5 is L/180.

BTW my 40 foot guardrail in my loft with 4 post only deflect's about 1/4 inch but then again it has a 6"w X 4"h glue-lam for a top rail. I would suggest stiffening the top rail would be easier and more efficient then adding more post and special fasteners.

Man did this thread run out into the weeds.

I think mtlogcabin has the most reasonable approach to deflection so far unless something more definitive shows up.

Another question on the whole issue is: why wasn't the potential problem addressed during plan review?

There was a proposal for this subject to the 2015 IRC, but it was not approved. It matched the deflection limits for composite guards as required by the reference standard ASTM D 7032. I spoke against it because it may be a good standard for a manufacturer, but not something that anyone could have feasible utilized in the field.

My deck railing has zero deflection (and all I used was 3" deck screws). I also left my 4 x 4's 4 x 4's and didn't cut them down to 2 x 4's.

mtlogcabin said:
I believe you could use this section for deflection requirements for guardrails.R301.7 Deflection.

The allowable deflection of any structural member under the live load listed in Sections R301.5 and R301.6 or wind loads determined by Section R301.2.1 shall not exceed the values in Table R301.7.

All other structural members L/240

Guardrails are listed in R301.5. there is no definition of a structural member in the IRC. The minimum allowable deflection limit in R301.5 is L/180.

BTW my 40 foot guardrail in my loft with 4 post only deflect's about 1/4 inch but then again it has a 6"w X 4"h glue-lam for a top rail. I would suggest stiffening the top rail would be easier and more efficient then adding more post and special fasteners.
Thanks! That's the section I saw and was comfortable with using. 3" was WAY TOO LOOSE for me and just seemed to be useless and almost to the point of failure at time of installation. I have inspected ALOT of decks and all guard posts on decks seem to deflect no more than an inch and most of them even less! SO getting the post to be rigid is not that difficult or even too much to ask, I feel. Most good contractor's seem to get that and prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to "safety" rails. Not sure why he was so comfortable with a rail that was so loose and was almost peeling the band board off the end of the joists.

jdfruit said:
Man did this thread run out into the weeds.I think mtlogcabin has the most reasonable approach to deflection so far unless something more definitive shows up.

Another question on the whole issue is: why wasn't the potential problem addressed during plan review?
I did address it on the plans. I asked for rail post blocking or support details! The response and correction I got was "he has been building decks for 20 years, he knows what they need". so she wrote the statement on the plans "rail posts will be blocked" and that's it. SO I said fine I will accept this but will fail it at inspection if it is not correct. I had that conversation with him when he came in after the second failure. He said it was up to me to tell him what "I wanted" and my response was that" you stated you would block posts to code and it is up to you to provide me with details of how you will accomplish that. I cannot design it for you. Next time provide me with actual detailed plans and I will let you know if it is acceptable. This is why I prefer not to accept just a statement." Didn't want to argue with 20 years of experience.

Sifu said:
Can't remember where I read it, may have been a JLC article so you might check the archives. I will see if I can find it. It was a pretty good article about this. Basically they tested just about every known method of guard post and rail attachment and every one of them failed but one. The only one that actually passed used a combination of a tension tie and threaded rod. I don't remember the exact hardware that was used. Still waiting to actually see that method used! It should be noted that they tested based on the 200lb load WITH the safety factors which might be where the 500lb number you saw came from. The article seemed to be illustrating more about which methods absolutely don't work under any circumstances that it was about getting us to use the only method that did work since it was a bit complicated and prohibitive. It did a good job at illustrating that the most common methods such as a couple lags on a notched post didn't even come close. Personally I give a good hard shove and if I am comfortable with it I move on, if not I require more. If I see a notched post I really give it the ole' stink eye. It would be nice to have a more specific criteria but outside of that I exercise due diligence and move on.
Think this is the one you remember.View attachment 1198

Deck Guardrails.pdf

Deck Guardrails.pdf

Buelligan said:
I did address it on the plans. I asked for rail post blocking or support details! The response and correction I got was "he has been building decks for 20 years, he knows what they need". so she wrote the statement on the plans "rail posts will be blocked" and that's it. SO I said fine I will accept this but will fail it at inspection if it is not correct. I had that conversation with him when he came in after the second failure. He said it was up to me to tell him what "I wanted" and my response was that" you stated you would block posts to code and it is up to you to provide me with details of how you will accomplish that. I cannot design it for you. Next time provide me with actual detailed plans and I will let you know if it is acceptable. This is why I prefer not to accept just a statement." Didn't want to argue with 20 years of experience.
As always late to the party,

As pointed out by some, there is no defelection limit on guards, however the criteria mainly used is that the guards deflection is required to stop without the guards height descending down below the required minimum height, Model IRC code, 36".

The main thing everyone forgets is that guards are not required to have posts, nor their single attachment required to resist 500 or even 200 lb's, the top of the guard system at any point is required to resist a 200 lb point load.

The blocking, and all the bracket mumbo jumbo is not the correct way or only way, just a tested method. The testing done was limited to non-real life construction, you are missing the guard, and the full construction of the deck, ie flooring and therefore testing a single part and they come to the deduction, well this is the method we suggest.

As to lags vrs bolts, pretty much all the screw manufactures state and engineers concur, that a minimum of 3" of solid wood is required for a lag to hold loads, thus in order to use the lags, they would need a double rim board.

Also, if they installed a double rim board had every balusters 1.5" square, double lagged to the rim board, installed a 2x4 sub-rail and a 5/4 x 6 top board, all screwed together and then tested for the 200 lb point load at the top, the deflection would be very little and and the guard system would pass and there would be no posts.

The issue here was you felt the guard moved to much and therefore felt unsafe, you failed it and requested it be fixed or proof it met compliance, they had the options, from what I am reading you provided a direction by supplying DCA6, last time I checked DCA6 was not an ICC code, just an AWS pamphlet unless a local AHJ adoptedit, I venture a guess that you noted, well I am not sure how you built this one, but it does not feel safe, it seems to move more than I feel is safe without confirmation from an engineer, but if you follow these pages and diagrams, I know decks built like this in the past, don't seem to move like that.

They might have 20 years, but lots of things change as you noted, DCA6 is not 20 years old I believe, but back to design options, mounting guards to construction structure is and has always been a concern to many and then not to others, NYC is currently requiring all buildings with it's limits to complete facade inspections and bring all the exterior structure and guards up to code compliance, as they have found many of them in place don't comply and or are unsafe.

I guess I went off topic a bit, but I always get a bit of a hair raising when people talk about guard structure and loads and focus on a single post and not the entire system. I also get a bit off kilter with noting code requires blocking, as there is nothing in the IRC code prior to 2015, and in the new section 507 exterior decks, section 507 it just notes to stop lateral resistance in R507.5.1, it does not say you need to use blocking, only stop the rotation, and if blocking is used then.

However, deflection is measured with engineering testing standards and thus as an inspector, if you fail a guard for deflection, are you not moving this in to an engineers corner period?

For don't you need confirmation, your feel test does not verify it does or does not comply, just notes a flag, if an engineer can validate it complies or it does not comply the question becomes after all my ramblings, if as an inspector you fail a guard for deflection without preforming the proper testing method, how can you then approved your failure flag without a proper engineer sign off or engineers inspection report?

Your failure was a guess, as is your approval now?

Once you fail a project for a structure issue that can only be verified by an engineer, how does one approve and pass that item without an engineers report it complies?

That is my question?

Tom

Brent, thank you for the inclusion in a very esteemed group of Code Junkies.

Just remember to whom your kilt owes its heritage too. My ancesters ruled much of the known world for a brief period.

In a prior post, TBZ stated, "However, deflection is measured with engineering testing standards and thus as an inspector, if you fail a guard for deflection, are you not moving this in to an engineers corner period?" I hope everyone realizes that it does not take a lab coat and an advanced degree to measure deflection. If you know how to apply a force and how to measure displacement, you can perform a deflection test.

jeffc said:
In a prior post, TBZ stated, "However, deflection is measured with engineering testing standards and thus as an inspector, if you fail a guard for deflection, are you not moving this in to an engineers corner period?" I hope everyone realizes that it does not take a lab coat and an advanced degree to measure deflection. If you know how to apply a force and how to measure displacement, you can perform a deflection test.
I push on it. Real hard...like I am trying to break it.