• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Decontamination shower in a police station

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Another PD building. They provide a "decontamination shower" in an open room they call a sallyport, but that isn't a sallyport by the IBC definition. It is a drive in area, presumably where either the personnel or those in custody, or both, will enter the back of the building. I would not consider it a "bathing room". IBC 1109.2 requires a bathing room to be accessible. If this is not a bathing room I don't have much to stand on to require full accessibility. This would not be used for bathing.....more of a hosing off?? Interested to hear thoughts. There are two other bathing rooms in the building that will be accessible (once they answer my comments anyway).

I can't help but flash back to Rambo (the original), but it is maybe a little more civilized than that.

Are you talking about a drench style shower that is typically used in a laboratory setting? perhaps also with an eyewash? Typically over a flat floor with a drain nearby. easily accessible and the pull down can be operated without grasp or pinch.

Are you talking about a drench style shower that is typically used in a laboratory setting? perhaps also with an eyewash? Typically over a flat floor with a drain nearby. easily accessible and the pull down can be operated without grasp or pinch.
No. Picture a garage, with OHD's at each end. The patrol unit drives in, takes the drunk out of the car and stands/sits them in a basin and sprays the "stuff" off of them with a hand held hose sprayer. No clothing removal, no bar of soap, no privacy.

Edit: I am only speculating based on On Patrol Live, never experienced it first hand. Really.

Yeah...guess it doesn't really fit here:

1110.2.1.3 Family or Assisted-Use Bathing Rooms

Family or assisted-use bathing rooms shall include only one shower or bathtub fixture. Family or assisted-use bathing rooms shall also include one water closet and one lavatory. Where storage facilities are provided for separate-sex bathing rooms, accessible storage facilities shall be provided for family or assisted-use bathing rooms.

I am not looking for ways to require it, just making sure I am not missing ways that would require it. It is interesting, the unit itself is prefab, and it is made specifically for these restraint type of situations. Many aspexcts of it are touted as "ADA compliant", with a disclamier that they need to be installed correctly, but the unit itself is the wrong size to fit in any accessible scenario. It seems to straddle the need for access, restraint and feasibility.

This reminds me of a thread from several years ago, where the question was whether a beach "rinse-off" shower needed to have the seat, grab bars, etc.
https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.co...osure-and-bench-to-meet-ada.23455/post-184210
Whether it is sand that is being rinsed off at the beach, or barf that is being rinsed off at a police sally port / drive in, the function is "rinsing" not "bathing", so it is not a bathing room.

I would recommend that the controls for the shower be mobility accessible (for lbs. of force of operation, etc.), unless those controls are part of employee workstation equipment. But the rest of it - - seat, grab bars, etc. are not code required if it is not used for bathing.

Sifu, I would definitely ask the police to clarify in writing whether their intention for the shower is "bathing" or merely "rinsing".

Last edited: