• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Define Lot Coverage

jar546

Forum Coordinator
How does your jurisdiction define lot coverage? There are many ways and variables including pervious vs impervious, buildings, accessory structures, etc.

Around here there are 2 criteria, building coverage as a percentage of the total square footage of the lot and impervious surfaces (paving etc.) as a percentage of the total square footage of the lot. The total covered area, the something of the area from the 2 above categories is also taken into consideration. The allowable is based on the zoning for that area and/or special planning codes for the area.

We just regulate the percentage of the lot covered by buildings or structures. We do not regulate impervious area, but we have a more rural style of development with larger lots than many municipalities.

“Lot coverage” means that amount of land area on the lot or parcel of land, which is occupied by structures or buildings.
...but there are also requirements for a certain amount of pervious landscape in front and rear yards

It appears as though most use building coverage but then throw in pervious and impervious, but, how do you calculate that? I know it depends on how the land is zoned but can someone give me an example?

Let's say someone has a multi-residential condo building planned in an appropriate area on a lot that is approximately 2.29 acres or 100,000 square feet. What how would your jurisdiction break this down? Let's say all structures come to a footprint of 30,000 square feet. Impervious comes to another 30,000 square feet. If you had a 40% max lot coverage, how does your muni handle this?

Zoning handles lot coverage based on the sq ft size of the roof of all structures on the lot.
Public works handles the impervious surface requirement based on the total sq ft of the roofs and the concrete, asphalt and other impervious surfaces.

Zoning handles lot coverage based on the sq ft size of the roof of all structures on the lot.
Public works handles the impervious surface requirement based on the total sq ft of the roofs and the concrete, asphalt and other impervious surfaces.

I understand that impervious surface deal with site drainage but I am still looking for examples such as the hypothetical I posted above. If you have a max of 30% lot coverage for example, does that include impervious surfaces or is that just for buildings under roof?

Lot Coverage. The total area of a lot covered by the principal and accessory buildings, or structures including any area occupied by overhangs or roofs and any attachment to a building or structure, but excluding (a) open decks less than 30 inches in height. (Measured from grade to top of the platform); and (b) an eave extending up to two feet from the exterior wall of the building or structure.

Correct
My dad lives in Broward County and they included his driveway for his carport addition and would not let him install it. So every place is different

Most zoning codes only limit structures similar to mtlogcabin's post #8. Some jurisdictions also limit impervious area (structures plus drives, walks, patios,etc.) and require special stormwater management measures. A large part of Virginia is in the Chesapeake Bay protection area which has very strict stormwater control requirements.

Roof area is not always the same as foundation footprint.
Based on F.A.R. allowed you could cover more lot than less if you limit the number of floors or require a min. % to remain impervious for groundwater recharge.