• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"deleted in its entirety" .... meaning?

Herb C

Good morning to all. I live in Kentucky and it adopts the 2015 IRC with Kentucky amendments. I'm going to be installing some new construction windows in my home and will have to reframe a few of them due to bad previous installation practices. In searching for the current codes, I was somewhat confused on what is meant by "deleted in its entirety".
I have the official 2015 IRC code book and it states;

R312.2.1 window sills​

In dwelling units, where the top of the sill of an operable window opening is located less than 24 inches (610 mm) above the finished floor and greater than 72 inches (1829 mm) above the finished grade or other surface below on the exterior of the building, the operable window shall comply with one of the following:
  1. Operable window openings will not allow a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere to pass through where the openings are in their largest opened position.
  2. Operable windows are provided with window fall prevention devices that comply with ASTM F2090.
  3. Operable windows are provided with window opening control devices that comply with Section R312.2.2.
When I look at The 2018 Kentucky Residential Code which is adopted through 2019 (latest version), it states;

R312.2.1 Window sills. Section R312.2.1 of the 2015 IRC shall be DELETED in its entirety. (The document offers no stated amendments)

Does this means that Kentucky does not recognize R312.2.1 (deleted in its entirety) of the 2015 IRC, therefore doesn't require fall protection as stated in the 2015 IRC?
Can someone help me on this please because I'm also having a very similar issue in regards to window egress as well. Thank you very much and experience. Its much appreciated.

Deleted,,, as in never there

Would check with your city building department to confirm.

What is the question on Window Egress????

Deleted,,, as in never there

Would check with your city building department to confirm.

What is the question on Window Egress????
Much appreciated, Thank you Cda, in regards to egress..... It's actually a question in regards to the net opening. Will the windows anywhere in the home require egress limitations of net openings besides the bedroom and basements. I have some windows that's going to be slightly smaller than the current size and again The Kentucky Residential Code doesn't state anything nor is it in their code about 310.2.1 minimum opening area. Kentucky's code goes from 310.1 straight to 310.5 completely skipping 310.2.1
I would further guess as you stated before that I should be contacting the city building Dept for further clarification. I do appreciate you welcoming me to the forum and I'm sure I will have more questions in the near future to relay.

Much appreciated, Thank you Cda, in regards to egress..... It's actually a question in regards to the net opening. Will the windows anywhere in the home require egress limitations of net openings besides the bedroom and basements. I have some windows that's going to be slightly smaller than the current size and again The Kentucky Residential Code doesn't state anything nor is it in their code about 310.2.1 minimum opening area. Kentucky's code goes from 310.1 straight to 310.5 completely skipping 310.2.1
I would further guess as you stated before that I should be contacting the city building Dept for further clarification. I do appreciate you welcoming me to the forum and I'm sure I will have more questions in the near future to relay.
Also CDA, can you expound on the answer you gave as " never there" meaning what? Does that mean not to abide by that particular code since it's been deleted in it's entirety? Thank you again

only one window in each bedroom is required to meet the requirement

Provide required for basement,,, I do not do basements,,, and variables.

Also CDA, can you expound on the answer you gave as " never there" meaning what? Does that mean not to abide by that particular code since it's been deleted in it's entirety? Thank you again

As in if it is not written. ,,,, It cannot be enforced.

That particular section (312.2.1) is one that is often over-looked and many people disagree with. If the people in your state who make the code adoption decisions happen to be in that camp then they (collectively) said "yeah, we're just going to skip that part." Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just what happened. Here in CA where lawsuits rule it's unthinkable, but maybe young children are less reckless out there, or maybe nobody ever builds more than one story? I don't know.

This section of code is also removed in our code in Ohio. Windows are allowed to open and not have any fall protection.