• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Determining H Occupancies

Meadowbend99

Hi,

I'm doing my first H occupancy and am looking for some direction on the best way to determine which H it would be classified as.

It's a small, 7,500 SF, metal finishing shop. It consists of tanks with solutions, rinses, dyes to dip/finish metal.

Chemicals that will be used and stored on site include: AL CLENETM 75R (section 2), CLEANER 3390G (hazard level 2), CORAKTM 777L (hazard level 2), ISOPREP 35 (section 2).

Since chemicals are considered hazard level 2, does that make this an H-2?

The plan is to build a storage building detached from the building for bulk chemical storage.

Thanks!

Ok,

How are you connected with the project?

Any msds or whatever you call them now, you can post a link to.

Look at the descriptors for each "H" to help you Identify if you have an "H" and which type of "H" you have.

I do not think you are an "H-2" just have to have a list of ALL the chemicals!!! Normally I ask for anything over five gallons.

You need to sort the chemicals into the categories and classes listed in IBC Table 307.1(1). Sometimes this is not an easy task. You may need to contact the manufacturer to have them help you. Once you determine the category/class, then you need to determine what the quantities will be, both in storage and in use. If the quantities exceed those listed for the chemical per Table 307.1(1) and you cannot distribute the chemicals over the number the control areas permitted per Table 414.2.2 to keep the quantities within each control area below the limits per Table 307.1(1), then you need to assign the building to the occupancy group listed in the third column of Table 307.1(1).

Consider the hazard presented by the material, the storage type and quantity, and follow Table 307.1(1) and 307.1(2).

[F] 307.1 High-Hazard Group H
High-hazard Group H occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, that involves the manufacturing, processing, generation or storage of materials that constitute a physical or health hazard in quantities in excess of those allowed in control areas complying with Section 414, based on the maximum allowable quantity limits for control areas set forth in Tables 307.1(1) and 307.1(2). Hazardous occupancies are classified in Groups H-1, H-2, H-3, H-4 and H-5 and shall be in accordance with this section, the requirements of Section 415 and the International Fire Code. Hazardous materials stored, or used on top of roofs or canopies, shall be classified as outdoor storage or use and shall comply with the International Fire Code.

Thanks for the help. According to the owners that was the complete list of hazardous chemicals, but I'll double check. I have the safety sheets on them but I don't know enough about these chemicals to feel like I'm selecting the correct material on the tables. I'll go ahead and call manufacturers to verify. I'm assuming I go with the most stringent H occupancy based off of the material classes.

Thanks for the help. According to the owners that was the complete list of hazardous chemicals, but I'll double check. I have the safety sheets on them but I don't know enough about these chemicals to feel like I'm selecting the correct material on the tables. I'll go ahead and call manufacturers to verify. I'm assuming I go with the most stringent H occupancy based off of the material classes.

Are you a designer or what?

You need quantities, open or close system, complete scope of process,

Sounds like a few chemicals missing

I ask for any chemical that will be in use or storage over five gallons

cda,
I'm an Architect. I typically do assembly, restaurants, retail, business, and residential work. This is my first project for a tenant improvement with hazardous chemicals. I'm reading through the codes and seeing it's not clear cut. I thought a little guidance from here couldn't hurt. Thank you.

cda,
I'm an Architect. I typically do assembly, restaurants, retail, business, and residential work. This is my first project for a tenant improvement with hazardous chemicals. I'm reading through the codes and seeing it's not clear cut. I thought a little guidance from here couldn't hurt. Thank you.

The answers are normally the same, just nice to know which side of the road you are coming down.

I highly recommend hire a Fire Protection Engineer, that knows this stuff.

There are a lot of variables involved. And they can help with building requirements and some ways that high dollar items are not required.

The money spent on a FPE can save you a lot of money and time.

cda,

Already lots of good direction and advise here.

It's good that you are moving to get more information about the chemicals as the main driver would be what they are, volume and manner in which they are stored and system they are in (e.g. closed loop system?) as people had already mentioned here.

That being said, based on my experience, this type of operation normally falls within F-1 rather than H-2 most of the time.

The chemicals you listed above seem mostly health versus physical hazards. Think the difference between something something that can hurt you if you touch or inhale it versus something that can explode and/or catches fire. Degreasers, acids, aluminum coating, dyes... etc. The process is also pretty much a closed process.

Of course, scale and type of operation and process can vary so verify verify verify...

Already lots of good direction and advise here.

It's good that you are moving to get more information about the chemicals as the main driver would be what they are, volume and manner in which they are stored and system they are in (e.g. closed loop system?) as people had already mentioned here.

That being said, based on my experience, this type of operation normally falls within F-1 rather than H-2 most of the time.

The chemicals you listed above seem mostly health versus physical hazards. Think the difference between something something that can hurt you if you touch or inhale it versus something that can explode and/or catches fire. Degreasers, acids, aluminum coating, dyes... etc. The process is also pretty much a closed process.

Of course, scale and type of operation and process can vary so verify verify verify...
Agree with Enri for the most part; however, keep in mind that chemicals posing a health hazard can still push you into an H. See my previous post and IBC Table 307.1(2).

upload_2020-5-19_9-31-1.png
(Note that footnotes not included)

Agree with Enri for the most part; however, keep in mind that chemicals posing a health hazard can still push you into an H. See my previous post and IBC Table 307.1(2).

View attachment 6661
(Note that footnotes not included)

Yes, chemicals posing health hazards can indeed still possibly trigger an H occupancy based on parameters in the code.

Knowing what kind of chemical hazard we are potentially facing helps in knowing where to look in the code and more importantly what kind of mitigation measures we may need to do.

Depending on the jurisdiction that your in typically there will need to be a hazardous materials questionnaire that will need to be completed noting all of the chemicals, classifications, quantities in use and stored or in a closed loop, etc. Then typically the jurisdictions haz mat or fire will determine the occupancy.

Depending on the jurisdiction that your in typically there will need to be a hazardous materials questionnaire that will need to be completed noting all of the chemicals, classifications, quantities in use and stored or in a closed loop, etc. Then typically the jurisdictions haz mat or fire will determine the occupancy.

@Meadowbend99 This is true as well. Even then, you have to still be proactive and present the clearest picture for them to make a fair assessment for your client.

Definitely talk with your mechanical engineer as prescribed ventilation and exhaust is allowed by code and NFPA in certain situations to also declassify what would otherwise be an H occupancy to not being an H occupancy. Especially for the operation you described you will really need to look at exhaust and ventilation closely anyway.

Don't forget you electrical engineer as well. Electrical hazard location classification and equipment rating and selection can also influence the overall hazard assessment (e.g. NEC class 1 div 1? class 2 div 2?...)

It takes a village.

Thanks for all the great info! We're looking at building a separate storage unit for the bulk storage of chemicals off-site (approximately 30' from the building), so the only quantities kept in the building will be in the tanks in a greatly diluted amount (open system). Most of the chemicals are cleaning solutions. We're talking with the Fire Marshal and trying to get an F-1 for the building.