• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Determining if Floor Assembly is 1 Hour Rated

R2Arch@91

Hi, new here, and have a question: how does one determine if a floor/ceiling assembly meets or exceeds a 1 hour rated assembly? I have reviewed the IEBC for 'archaic' assemblies, but none match the existing condition(s) I have in an old school house. We are converting the classrooms to affordable housing units; and the basement will be strictly for mechanical systems. Local AHJ regards basement as an S-1 Occupancy, so we require a 1 hr separation (with sprinklers) between basement and residential use above. One area has 2 layers (of what I am assuming is Portland Cement Plaster) the other a single layer. TIA

Attachments

• Flr Assembly.jpg
    Flr Assembly.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 16
I have, hoping to convince AHJ that basement is an ancillary space since no storage will be happening in basement (residents are restricted/locked out from using the basement area).

Ahhhhh...the "what do we call the mechanical space for a use" question....
How about INCIDENTAL or ACCESSORY
In Philadelphia, as a legacy to our "Zoning Code, we call basements ( implies habitable) CELLERS that are not even calculated as taxable Sq Footage are spaces for the heater and some minor storage.

If this is a legacy School that had a higher demand for Safety, given the number of people etc, a simple risk assessment would suggest the building's reuse as Residential is less demanding and should be considered and accommodated as meeting the Intent of the Code

It sounds like the Code needs to be Applied and Not Inflicted!

IMHO

No....they often don't fit incidental or accessory...I kinda default to S1 as generally they get used for storage, but someone might be able to talk me out of that on a specific project....
If you are talked into something on a specific project…it carries over to the next someone on that project and the someone on the next similar project. What happens if the first someone’s sells to another someone and the new someone takes advantage of your good nature?

If you are talked into something on a specific project…it carries over to the next someone on that project and the someone on the next similar project. What happens if the first someone’s sells to another someone and the new someone takes advantage of your good nature?
We can't anticipate what people are going to do. Seems we could think of this space, the way it was described, A separate, large Equipment CLOSET. where they may also keep their Snow Tires after St Patrick's Day

If it is an entire story, it doesn't meet either...
Was thinking about the description given
"the basement will be strictly for mechanical systems"

So, an old, What 3B bldg with joist that will take 3 days to char about a half inch ( I know an exaggeration to make a point)
So other than snow tires, what is going to be down there with a residential Use

A sprinkler system seems to be an unwarranted expense, given the Intent of the Code

Then call it a change of occupancy....

Was thinking about the description given
"the basement will be strictly for mechanical systems"

So, an old, What 3B bldg with joist that will take 3 days to char about a half inch ( I know an exaggeration to make a point)
So other than snow tires, what is going to be down there with a residential Use

A sprinkler system seems to be an unwarranted expense, given the Intent of the Code
The R likely requires the sprinklers....not the S.....But this thread is about the fire rating....

In Philadelphia, as a legacy to our "Zoning Code, we call basements ( implies habitable) CELLERS that are not even calculated as taxable Sq Footage are spaces for the heater and some minor storage.
To me, a cellar brings up images of my grandmothers country house with a dirt floor cellar, steep stairs, one bare bulb with a pull string …