• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Discontinuous Gyp. Bd. at shower pan at fire partition

mark handler said:
R302.3 Two-family dwellings. Dwelling units in two-family dwellings shall be separated from each other by wall and/or floor assemblies having not less than a I-hour fire-resistance rating when tested in accordance with ASTM E 119 or UL 263. Fire-resistance-rated floor-ceiling and wall assemblies shall extend to and be tight against the exterior wall, and wall assemblies shall extend from the foundation to the underside of the roof sheathing.Exceptions:

1. A fire-resistance rating of 1/2 hour shall be permitted in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with NFPA 13.

One hour to 1/2 hour, not unrated....
This is stated to be an R-2 use. The residential code wouldn't apply. The section is IBC Table 1018.1 but it states the same thing.

We request an assembly similar to the one posted by Mark. As the matter of fact I just entered that as a correction to an R-2 occupancy that I am currently reviewing. The required fire assembly cannot be compromised. To the best of my knowledge there is no rated shower or tub assmblies out there.

R-2 construction, 2009 IBC. I've got shower pans that abut corridor walls and party walls (1/2 hr partitions) in a three story apartment building. The plans call for the assembly to be continuous all the way to the floor and an additional layer of 1/2" green board be added at the shower enclosure to overlap the shower pan flange and provide a flush surface for the shower walls (swanstone type stuff).You know where I'm going already... builder wants to know if there is a way to keep that assembly intact without the additional layer of 1/2" gyp. I'm sure this has been seen by many of you before, know of any clever way to keep assembly intact without the additional Gyp.? View attachment 1183

View attachment 1634

View attachment 1634

/monthly_2012_01/shower.jpg.efb8a4556abeda9ffad5b65da6fd3044.jpg
Yes it is possible, seal between the backer board at the bottom with the reinforced sloped mortar bed

Attachments

• Showers walls fire rated assembly.pdf
    663.2 KB · Views: 6
Hardieboard is used in some UL-tested assemblies, and is also used as a tile backer. IIRC Concrete fibreboard (ie: wonderboard, also used as a tile backer) has a fire-resistance rating - a quick interweb search didn't give me conclusive info.
I had a project where the client wanted a shower on an exterior wall that needed a rating due to spatial separation, and they were able to specify an assembly with one of the above that did the job of both the fire-rated assembly and water-resistant backing. The details are in a file folder at the office, so I can't give you more information.