• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Distance between "container" food service and I-B building?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
I've got two 5-story buildings (type I-B) sitting on a podium with a courtyard between the two buildings. The courtyard is about 13' above the adjacent ground to the south which is also outdoor-courtyard type space. The owner wants to plop down a pre-fab food service container in that lower courtyard. Think food truck without the wheels. They're asking us tp permit it along with the building and are calling it quasi-permanent.

What would govern the required rating of the container and the required distance from the building? I was thinking we could just include the container in the allowable square footage of the building and then no separation is required. Problem with that is the container isn't type I-B. If I put an imaginary property line between the container and the adjacent building I would either be required to rate the container or the adjacent building curtain wall. I don't want to do either.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Is there anther way to approach this or classify the container (accessory?) that wouldn't require me to provide a fire rating for a container? Not even sure how you would do that, lots of intumescent paint?

Attachments

• container bldg.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
IIB is not bad....IB is rough <30'
Rough indeed. Seems like I need to make the container type I-B construction. I might be able to put the imaginary property line 10' from the main building and rate the exterior wall of the main building 1 hr (I can do this at a curtain wall with sprnkler in the local jurisdiction). Then the container could be type V-B, 10' from the property line and not need any rating.

Rough indeed. Seems like I need to make the container type I-B construction. I might be able to put the imaginary property line 10' from the main building and rate the exterior wall of the main building 1 hr (I can do this at a curtain wall with sprnkler in the local jurisdiction). Then the container could be type V-B, 10' from the property line and not need any rating.
Any chance the jurisdiction would accept a water curtain at the building in lieu of 1 hour like an atrium? 404.6?

Exceptions:
  1. A fire barrier is not required where a glass wall forming a smoke partition is provided. The glass wall shall comply with all of the following:
    1. Automatic sprinklers are provided along both sides of the separation wall and doors, or on the room side only if there is not a walkway on the atrium side. The sprinklers shall be located between 4 inches and 12 inches (102 mm and 305 mm) away from the glass and at intervals along the glass not greater than 6 feet (1829 mm). The sprinkler system shall be designed so that the entire surface of the glass is wet upon activation of the sprinkler system without obstruction;

Any chance the jurisdiction would accept a water curtain at the building in lieu of 1 hour like an atrium? 404.6?

Exceptions:
  1. A fire barrier is not required where a glass wall forming a smoke partition is provided. The glass wall shall comply with all of the following:
    1. Automatic sprinklers are provided along both sides of the separation wall and doors, or on the room side only if there is not a walkway on the atrium side. The sprinklers shall be located between 4 inches and 12 inches (102 mm and 305 mm) away from the glass and at intervals along the glass not greater than 6 feet (1829 mm). The sprinkler system shall be designed so that the entire surface of the glass is wet upon activation of the sprinkler system without obstruction;
Steveray - yes, when I said -I can do this at a curtain wall with sprnkler in the local jurisdiction- that's what I meant. The AHJ has even put out a bulletin about it so I don't need an AMMR or anything. Seems like the easiest way to solve this little puzzle.