• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Distance between Island and Refrigerator Enclosure Cabinet

Hopefully it can be fixed within 7 days, otherwise my interest rate lock for mortgage would expire and would cost me to extend or get the new higher rate.
Contact the mortgage lender and inquire about the possibility of holding monies out from the contractor into an escrow if the items are not corrected by the closing date. Usually 10 to 15% of the loan amount will motivate them to complete the work ASAP.

MT has my suggestion also, have them escrow an amount that would easily cover the cost, then tack on another 15-20-25% as a motivator.

% ~ % ~ %

gsakataria1,

Hold to your requirement to have the island relocated.

If the builder will not be able to fix it before the closing date,

...ask him \ her to lower the cost of the sale of the house

to accommodate the costs of relocating your island to

a compliant location [ EX: If it will cost say around $3,000.00

to relocate the island, simply lower the house purchase amount

by at least $3,000.00, ...possibly add a little more for the

inconvenience of fixing their mistake. ]........Just sayin'...

Just curious, but do you have a good attorney representing

you in this purchase ?..........It sounds as though you are going

to need them.

% ~ % ~ %

MASSDRIVER said:
Got the nickname Bulldog.
I gotta tell you Brent, maybe it's just the dress but I'm picturing something completely different.

That was a special day for you huh.

It's not unheard of to tackle something like that after close. If they are a large builder it will be handled. When things were ripping along there was another buyer, or ten, in line for that house. As I said its not yours yet. They can just move right along. See. It happen on other communities. We had more than 20 qc milestones so it was fairly improbable for something like that to get by.

Just be aware. I had one real gem of a buyer that wanted the whole house retextured. She got to pound sand. We closed it with someone else a week later.

Brent.

fatboy said:
It is under the IRC and it is addressed R106.4;R106.4 Amended Construction Documents. Work shall be installed in accordance with the approved construction documents, and any changes made during construction that are not in compliance with the approved construction documents shall be resubmitted for approval as an amended set of construction documents.
That's not going to fly with an island counter that's off by 6". First of all it's too late in the game for that. Secondly, that code section wouldn't be applied unless there was another underlying issue like a window moved into a braced wall or something similar.

I have had numerous cases where an owner decided that she wanted an island and there wasn't one on the plans. I inspected the island that wasn't on the plans.

north star said:
% ~ % ~ %gsakataria1,

Hold to your requirement to have the island relocated.

If the builder will not be able to fix it before the closing date,

...ask him \ her to lower the cost of the sale of the house

to accommodate the costs of relocating your island to

a compliant location [ EX: If it will cost say around $3,000.00

to relocate the island, simply lower the house purchase amount

by at least $3,000.00, ...possibly add a little more for the

inconvenience of fixing their mistake. ]........Just sayin'...

Just curious, but do you have a good attorney representing

you in this purchase ?..........It sounds as though you are going

to need them.

% ~ % ~ %

I wouldn't take money in lieu of moving the island. If you do that you may not get around to fixing it. The people that you hire to do the work might make a mess of it. The likelihood of getting low-balled is great. The original contractor is already there and will do what is necessary to please their customer.

retire09 said:
Where is this addressed in the IBC?
1208.1 Minimum room widths.

Habitable spaces, other than a kitchen, shall be not less than 7 feet (2134 mm) in any plan dimension. Kitchens shall have a clear passageway of not less than 3 feet (914 mm) between counter fronts and appliances or counter fronts and walls.

Sorry about the delay in responding...... moving slow these days

I just want to thank everyone again for their input. The island was moved by the builder. Now i have 39 inches. Closing was delayed a little bit but we are closing this Friday. My interest rate lock expires on Friday at 4 p.m so able to get it done right on time.

MASSDRIVER said:
When I was with Lennar I learned about consistancy. What is represented in the model homes have to be continued to the buyers home. Orientation is your chance to do corrections. ...Remember it's not your house, it is the builders house until it officially is signed to you.

So on orientation you point that out, let them know the model or other homes are different, and watch the shltstorm as it gets corrected. You would be surprised what can be done in 5 days. You don't have to be combative. Calmness and being resolute will get er done. :)

Brent.
Brent is absolutely correct, builder will fuss and **** and moan and cuss. Bottom line is he will do most a-n-y thing to get your to close.

FYI

Texas mandates use of the IRC and IBC statewide now. Been in effect since 2005 as I recall. This applied to all areas of the state unless amended by any of the political subdivisions.

Sec. 214.212. INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE. (a) To protect the public health, safety, and welfare, the International Residential Code, as it existed on May 1, 2001, is adopted as a municipal residential building code in this state.

(b) The International Residential Code applies to all construction, alteration, remodeling, enlargement, and repair of residential structures in a municipality.

© A municipality may establish procedures:

(1) to adopt local amendments to the International Residential Code; and

(2) for the administration and enforcement of the International Residential Code.

(d) A municipality may review and consider amendments made by the International Code Council to the International Residential Code after May 1, 2001.

Other sections of Local Government Code 214 require the IBC and NEC.

BS

Last edited by a moderator: