• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do bleachers count towards floor area?

Brendan Webb

Hi,

I am wondering if the bleachers like in the image shown will count towards floor area as I am trying to ensure that the level above can be counted as a mezzanine, therefore it needs to be less than 40% of the total floor area in the Alberta Building Code.

Thanks in advance :)
58823-preview_low_4169-3_58823_sc_v2com.jpg

Not sure on Alberta, but here yes..
Ok great. Do you also happen to know if that is counted up to a certain height. For example, would it count stopping for floor area once the bleachers are 2 meters off of the first floor. I couldn't find this out in the code, or know how to decipher it properly. Thanks

Ok great. Do you also happen to know if that is counted up to a certain height. For example, would it count stopping for floor area once the bleachers are 2 meters off of the first floor. I couldn't find this out in the code, or know how to decipher it properly. Thanks

There may be a definition in the book???

Yes, that would all count as floor area in this case. The deal with open mezzanines is that there is supposed to be open communication from the mezzanine to the floor area it overlooks. This way, someone in an open mezzanine can see hazards and react in a reasonable timeframe. This is also why closed mezzanines are restricted to 10%

Great - Thank
Yes, that would all count as floor area in this case. The deal with open mezzanines is that there is supposed to be open communication from the mezzanine to the floor area it overlooks. This way, someone in an open mezzanine can see hazards and react in a reasonable timeframe. This is also why closed mezzanines are restricted to 10%
Great - Thank you!

The bleachers look like millwork ... furniture ... removable. I would ignore them and calculate the floor area based on the plane of the structural floor.
We include furniture (both fixed and permanent) in the floor area in this case.

The photo makes me ask: Do you have a Canadians Disability Act? like we have the ADA here?

I'd like to get a book off the second shelf.

The photo makes me ask: Do you have a Canadians Disability Act? like we have the ADA here?

I'd like to get a book off the second shelf.
It's included in our building code and much less restrictive than the ADA.

It's important to point out that compliance with our barrier free provisions does not guarantee immunity from a human rights discrimination suite. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (our founding document) stipulates that no identifiable minority may be discriminated against in a public place.