• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do showers require toilets?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
A random question here. We're working on a shower room in a parking garage (for LEED Bike Facilities) and the question came up - Are you required to provide a toilet if you provide a shower? A colleague says he's gotten this comment on a plan review before but I can't find it in the 2019 CBC. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks.

Nope....Not in ICC land that I am aware of...
I did find something in CBC land... good old chapter 11.

11B-213.2.1 Unisex bathing rooms - ...unisex bathing rooms shall contain one shower, one lavatory, and one water closet... I'm paraphrasing a bit. So that kind of begs the question. What if it's not unisex? If I have one men's and one women's is a lav an w.c. still required?

It is my understanding that 11B-608 regarding shower compartments is applicable for the shower when one is provided, with no mention of the need for other plumbing fixtures.

It is my understanding that 11B-608 regarding shower compartments is applicable for the shower when one is provided, with no mention of the need for other plumbing fixtures.
Forgot to add 11B-213.3.6 regarding the "where provided".

Nothing in the plumbing sections that I could find. Only in the accessibility section

2018 IBC
1109.2.1.3 Family or assisted-use bathing rooms.
Family or assisted-use bathing rooms shall include only one shower or bathtub fixture. Family or assisted-use bathing rooms shall also include one water closet and one lavatory. Where storage facilities are provided for separate-sex bathing rooms, accessible storage facilities shall be provided for family or assisted-use bathing rooms.

My vote goes for no toilets required - shower only. The intent is to provide a place for someone to clean up a bit after a long trip.

The question is,, are there toilets for the parking garage per CPC TABLE 422.1 MINIMUM PLUMBING FACILITIES.
If there are no toilets, per code then i would say yes.

Reactions: ICE