• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do sprinklers reduce required fire ratings?

Mech

2000 NFPA 101

2009 IBC Chapter 34 or 2009 IEBC

Existing Health Care Facility with sprinklers

I need to re-establish a smoke barrier with either a 1/2 hour or 1 hour fire rating. Is there an exception that reduces or eliminates the required fire rating due to the fire suppression system? I skimmed the code quickly but did not find anything.

Thanks

one problem is you have to go with the stricter of the codes

what is this seperating??

A Smoke barrier by definition must be a one hour assembly where a smoke partition has no rating. The only reduction I'm seeing is for an I-3 building with a minimum of 0.1 inch thick steel in Section 710.3.

what is this separating??
Compartmentation of the building.

I just spoke with a former code reviewer and it seems that in a nursing home, the health department would not relax those rules.

I am going to suggest to the client that we pay for a preliminary review and discuss the possible options with a code reviewer before we waste too much time or money.

Thanks for the info.

CG got it.....If it needs to be a smoke barrier....Sprinklers can reduce for corridors and rated structure and some others, but nothing under 709 for SB's....

The code is not the problem . . . making a butchered building comply with it is.