• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do we need new codes?

It could be because I am on the iPad at the moment. The forum crashes my work computer. The message I get is from Bing and it says that there is no valid link to go to.

glad everyone was ok.

Kind of like living in calif in the forest, you either prepare for the enviroment you are in, or the enviroment will do what it normally does.

Do we need new codes?

Wasn't even called on site! Only fire/search-rescue, most of the homes up off that hill are 60-100 years old. The older lady passed away yesterday, pretty fortunate that was only one hurt, I've been a builder in Missoula since 1988, inspecting for my 7th year, yeah, codes are making new homes alot more expensive, safer? Who can say.

Do we need new codes?

Haven't seen any avalanches in any of the hills in town here in thirty years in Missoula. In the mountains yes, not in town

I remember a couple of years ago an elderly gentleman in the Swan was killed when he stepped outside and the snow slid off his roof and he suffocated.

It is a wonder snow breaks are not required over entries and steps

RJJ said:
Sounds like you have a code provision to be added Mt.
Not from me. Codes are not meant to protect everyone from every potential hazard.

I believe in "acceptable losses" as apart of the code.

The problem is what is acceptable to me may not be to others.

Huffers and locking caps on Freon lines is one

mtlogcabin said:
Not from me. Codes are not meant to protect everyone from every potential hazard.I believe in "acceptable losses" as apart of the code.

The problem is what is acceptable to me may not be to others.
MT for President!

mj

Must also consider acceptable risk! Those who build, allow building or buy next to mountain assume the risk just like those who buy in flood areas. It's tragic when it happens but they assume the risk too.

My favorite saying:

Codes are meant to address the probable, not the possible. Everything is possible.

fatboy said:
huh???????????
What did I do, get the wrong avalanche? An elderly couple (that would be a traditional couple of a man and a woman) were dug out of the snow and taken to a hospital. The evening news said that the woman died at the hospital and the man is still there in serious condition.