• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do You Still Refer To Architectural Drawings as "Blueprints?"

Redefining 'Blueprints': The Digital Transformation in Architecture, Engineering, and Construction

Joy_Oil_gas_station_blueprints.jpg

Introduction

For over a century, the term 'blueprint' has been a staple in the lexicon of architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC). Synonymous with detailed plans used to guide the construction of buildings and infrastructure, blueprints were once pivotal to project management. However, the digital age has ushered in profound changes, rendering the traditional blueprint increasingly obsolete. This article explores the origins of blueprints, their evolution, and the modern terminology and technologies that have replaced them.

The Historical Context of Blueprints

The blueprint process originated in the 19th century and became a fundamental method for reproducing technical and architectural drawings. The distinctive blue-and-white prints were produced through a chemical process known as cyanotype. The method was cost-effective and robust, making blueprints a ubiquitous tool in construction projects throughout the 20th century.

Transition to Digital Technologies

The late 20th century marked a pivotal shift with the advent of computer-aided design (CAD) software, revolutionizing how plans were drafted, shared, and stored. CAD offered numerous advantages over traditional blueprints, including:

• Precision and Flexibility: Digital files are more precise and can be easily updated without the need to produce new sets of prints.
  • Efficiency: Digital files can be shared instantly across locations, reducing delays caused by physical document handling.
  • Sustainability: Reducing paper use aligns with growing environmental sustainability goals within the industry.
As CAD systems became more accessible and user-friendly, the AEC industry saw a rapid decline in the use of physical blueprints, moving towards a fully digital workflow.

Modern Terminology and Practices

With the shift from physical to digital, the terminology used in construction documentation has also evolved:

• Construction Documents (CDs): This term refers to the comprehensive set of drawings and specifications used to construct a building or infrastructure project.
  • Project Drawings or Digital Plans: Often used interchangeably with CDs, these terms broadly encompass all digital designs and plans involved in a project.
  • Design Deliverables: This focuses on the outputs during the design phase, including detailed drawings, models, and simulations.
  • Contract Documents: These are legally binding documents that define the scope, responsibilities, and specifics of a construction project, ensuring all parties are aligned.
Looking Ahead: The Future of Construction Documentation

As technology continues to evolve, the AEC industry is likely to see further advancements that could redefine construction documentation even beyond current digital practices. Innovations like Building Information Modeling (BIM) and augmented reality (AR) are already beginning to enhance the way professionals interact with project data, offering dynamic, real-time updates and immersive interaction with design elements.

The iconic 'blueprint' holds a place in the nostalgic realms of architecture and engineering, yet the industry must continue to embrace and adapt to the digital methodologies that are shaping the future of construction. By adopting modern terminology and technologies, professionals in the AEC industry can ensure greater accuracy, efficiency, and collaboration in their projects.

The photo shows a true "blueprint"; by the 1950's it had become a reverse (white background with blue lines) that are more correctly called "bluelines" which carried through into the late 1990's. You could also get different paper that would print brown ("brownlines") and black ("blacklines"). Most reprographic companies (and larger architectural/engineering firms) now use large format copiers that churn out blacklines along with large ink-jet printers when color is needed for presentations and to delineate important code requirements (such as fire walls or paths of travel).

I remember the joy of changing the ammonia bottle. You didn’t work slow, but you did work carefully.

And back in the day of blueprints, you marked the plans with a yellow pencil.

Back in the late 80’s we bought a small diazo machine for the office. 36” wide, designed for low volume but perfect for us. The salesgirl who came by after delivery was relatively new to the business. I happened to have a real blueprint laying on the counter, she commented on it, and i said her machine made it. Surprised her. I said yeah, you just run the machine backwards. She believed me.

Even though I have known the difference between a blueprint and a blackline print for over 50 years, I do occasionally still refer to any print as a "blueprint."

In most cases we just call them Drawings, that allows any format such as printed, copied or even colored copies to fall under one umbrella.

My first job in an architect's office the summer of 65 included changing the ammonia every couple days. We used blueline for check sets, but sent out for real blueprints for bid sets.

My first job in an architect's office the summer of 65 included changing the ammonia every couple days. We used blueline for check sets, but sent out for real blueprints for bid sets.

The instant remedy for a stuffy nose was to walk into the Print Room and inhale near the diazo machine.

In the 90’s I had a big project submitted in April for funding review at the HUD Los Angeles office, and their staff said they needed to do a thorough review. The cynical members of our development team said they would just sit on it ‘til the end of fiscal year (Sept. 30) which coincided with the ramp-up of congressional election season. The prints were on diazo, and rolled up to about 12” diameter.
Fast forward to September escrow closing, the HUD architect shows up with the roll of plans that he had “thoroughly reviewed”, and he requires all parties to initial every plan and spec page. With every turn of the sheet, the ammonia fumes wafted into our eyes and noses: HUD staff had never opened the plans, and for 5 months they had been rolled so tight that the ammonia still had not fully evaporated.

We ask for TWO sets of "Plans", you'll get one back.
Then the "Man Who Draws" (Cad Dude) Asks: "Can we submit electronically?" So I'm pretty sure that's no longer called a blueprint! Probably a "misprint" describes some submittals more accurate.

Once saw a set of plans from the Arch that said, "Not responsible for measurements! Not sure what your paying for. Usually you see "Contractor responsible to verify measurements".

Once accepted a house plan on some paper napkins, old timer had the foundation the first floor and roof drawn out using an ink pen. I copied the plans onto copier paper, issued permit and stamped his plans "Subject to field inspections!".

Old dudes ROCK!

In the old days the contractors use to assemble the windows on site, they'd get the sashes, (Window frames with glass), the window stool, (part at the bottom of the window) the side jambs, the window tracks, the window stops, precut casings and brickmould. Don't forget the window pulls and window locks, Sonny!