• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do you want a Chat option?

Do you want a Chat option?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Please let me know. It will allow free flowing discussions outside of the forum that will not become posts. I assume everyone knows what chat is????????????????

Please comment and vote

chat rooms will bring many, many more "members" to this forum!

Chat rooms ;two at least; would be a great asset to this forum. We could be more formal with the Bulletin Board, more strict about keeping on topic; and make it more professional; eliminating "off the wall remarks", fishing reports, and other personal chit chat; that takes a thread off topic.

I would be happy to pay for membership to the chat rooms. You can even have webcam with audio; and it would bring us closer as a group. Annual membership to most chat rooms is very inexpensive.

If we had at least two rooms; we could have more formal meetings in one room and have a main room for general visiting.

I know some people are hesitent to enter chat rooms; but, they are a great place to meet, socialize, and reinforce a group feeling and form stronger friendships.

It really will make this site "the place to be".

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
MLC,

This will greatly increase our membership!

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what chat rooms are however I never participated in any. I have went inside a chat room and was very entertained by some of the topics and comments but felt no need to respond so I am not going to vote one way or the other. It makes no difference to me either way.

Now once I see a chat room that I find interesting I may participate but right now Im a don't really care one way or the other.

I also have never "chatted". I know of the concept, and it has been mentioned on this site before. I voted yes, as I think it would get used, and not really be a detraction from the forums.

Chat room would be a great tool to have if onsite and need a little help. Laptop in the truck, enter chat and wait for some help!

UB

Not against it, just not familar with them, rshuey makes a good point. might be very useful for a one man (sorry ewenme) dept to be able to get quick help in the field.

Chat rooms would be great. Back and forth right there, right now. Like Uncle Bob said when people get to wound up on the board, send them to chat.

I like being able to see & review a history of a post and being able to revisit the post later on and using search features to plow thru the board's many posts for keyword related info to aid in a code analysis sort of like an online commentary....would the chat be recorded for reference & searchable? I think google chat has a save history option which makes it searchable.....

I'll vote yes as it appears many folks want it - bottom line, I'm not opposed to it, but I really doubt that I would use it. Never know, but hey, the stuff I deal with no one else deals with anyway. Just sit here watching planes take off :)

mtlogcabin said:
"I assume everyone knows what chat is????????????????"Not familar with how they work never used one.
I've been doing webinars recently and they all seem to have them. Very easy to use and good for group interaction.

Sue, do you ICQ (old chat forum)?

Like mtcabin I am ignert of this thing...I have been able to get fairly fast replies to nuts and bolts questions here, and like syarn, I like having access to the development of a question and its answers, but I'll vote for it.

I guess I'm the only one to vote no, I don't like chat options, but it's okay of others do, it doesn't affect the rest of us that don't use them. .

I really don't see it as being used in the same manner as the forum. I see it more as the social side of things just to talk shop. Maybe if you had an urgent question you could pop in there for opinions. However, most of the sites I frequent don't usually have a lot of people in chat.

It would open the door for some sort of webinar.. Where there is a scheduled date and time to discuss a certain subject. If Bryan were to do one on bonding and grounding I would block out my schedule (no pressure, Bryan) :)

Not for or against. Sometimes I don't mind when someone sends me an IM or similar pop-up chat message, sometimes I do. :(

But I'm moody and anti-social, so I wouldn't go by my opinion on this one anyway... :D

ConArb you're not the only 'no' vote. I voted no because the chat room will be off limits for me at work. The Board fills a need and I use it at work to ask questions and make comments.

I had to answer no because I don't see myself using a chat service. I have no objections if chat is provided. I like having a searchable record of discussions for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.