• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do you want a Chat option?

Do you want a Chat option?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
jar546 said:
My concern would be less posts and threads because of the chat option. We need to ensure that won't happen.
I don't really think that will happen.

I'm betting most of us will open the chat and there won't be anybody in there. For the most part I believe it will be a social thing; you may catch somebody in there and just say 'hi'. I don't think it will be a substitute for the forum.

jar546 said:
My concern would be less posts and threads because of the chat option. We need to ensure that won't happen.
Your pretty well established Jeff. I this is of great concern, why bring it up in the first place? Whats the worst that could happen, you tear people away from their FB chats to chat here? Its a win/win pal.

I like the BB the way it is and have no need to chat but I vote yes because I'm open to it.

How about a 'like' button? Sometimes I read a post and just agree with it, can't say it any better and want to acknowledge it...

JBI said:
How about a 'like' button? Sometimes I read a post and just agree with it, can't say it any better and want to acknowledge it...
I never liked that. I want to know why you liked it, many times a post of approval leads to tangent discussions.

Sometimes a tangent discussion is unnecessary. But that's just my humble opinion, and as we all know opinions will vary.

Maybe I liked it because I couldn't agree more, and the point was made so eloquently that any worded relpy would do it an injustice.

Maybe it left me speechless in it's accuracy and simplicity.

Maybe I'm just too busy to post one of my long-winded, annoyingly accurate replies.

Maybe my carpel tunnel is acting up... LOL

chat rooms, unfortunately lead to private chat rooms, which leads to much information not being accessible and more "social" .. I voted no and probably wouldn't use the option, but if the majority wants it, go for it.

I'm not a big fan of lots of bells and whistles.. too distracting.

~ ~ ~ ~

I vote "No!" I too favor the simplistic approach / set up of this current

forum. A Chat Option would not benefit me, plus I would think that it

would diminish the lively, passionate discussions that we have.

Also, like others, my office server would probably not let me access the

site because of the "Chat" option. :eek:

~ ~ ~ ~

I really don't think the chat room is going to be any distraction from the forum. I am a member of many other vB sites and 1) there is usually no more than 1 or 2 people in there for a site with comparable membership and 2) the chat is usually "hey, hows it going", "not too bad, just finishing up yadda yadda". In my experience it's a social feature. Like talking at the water cooler. You're not going to put out an inter-office memo on what you talk about at the water cooler. You're also not going to post a message about what you talk in the chat room. In my experience, anyway.

I have a few minutes now between getting the kids ready for bed and collapsing for the night. If there were a chat option I would pop in just to say hi.

Chat rooms leading to private chat rooms sounds like something out of 90's AOL. Usually the admins create a single chat and you cannot create other chats (unless you want to PM).

Also, I second JBI's idea of a post "like". Not in the Facebook "like" way, but rather a way to rate a single post. Right now we can rate a thread, but we cannot rate a post within the thread. There are usually a handful of excellent posts in a thread, and if the option were there, I would rate the response. I am not going to threadcrap and say "great post!", nor am I going to clutter another user's inbox with a private message to that effect. It is a way to give recognition to an excellent post that will otherwise go uncommended.

"Like"

Besides, just tried posting "Like" and it's too short as a stand alone response. Looks pretty stupid too.

I think it would be a good thing; because we could be more strict about what is discussed on the open threads. We too often get off course; and insert too many off subject messages and arguements.

It would keep the theads on a more professional level; and we could debate our personal opinions in the chat room. By being required to be a member to enter the chat room; we would increase membership; and, could hash out differences there.

It would also bring us closer together as a group. A good place to do our dirty laundry or discuss it in the chat room instead of the open forum.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
We have mechanisms to air dirty laundry (PM, phone, e-mail).. if the membership wants it, go for it.. I probably won't participate...

Remember what it was like to strike 3 or four keys simultaneously on the typewriter and have to spend the next minute or two trying to untangle them from in front of the paper? Miss DeBerry could hear the sound of jammed keys, was protective of the county's equipment, and was a deadly shot with an eraser. She had my desk dialed in. Jam key, look up and try to figure out where to duck. This did however, work to my advantage. Another year of my typing simply meant more machinery damage with little improvement likely to show for it. I passed typing class at a respectable negative 5 words per minute.

Which is another way of saying... If you want to chat with me, you better bring lunch.

I have no interest whatsoever in chatrooms or "like" buttons. I have no interest in social networking. I honk at people who are driving in the fast lane 10 miles an hour below the speed limit while talking on the cell phone. I think kids spend too much time playing on XBox. Get out and throw the baseball around for Christ's sake.

But that's just me.

Well I hope this gets in since I somehow missed this one. I would like to have it as an option if available as an option setting. It can be a useful tool if one has a specific issue that can be addressed in a timely manner if the chatters are online at the same time.

My biggest concern was that more chatting would be going on than posting and take away from the board. It seems to be a dying option on some of the board that i check out.

And a lot of us wouldn't be able to use it anyway, social network filters on computers at work.

What would be the difference in a chat and the board???? If you're online you can post to questions and answer them just like chat...just wouldn't be a flowing chat like you normally see.

On another note....I don't know if you fellers and gals know this but you can set up your notifications in my profile to "sign up" for any thread you post in to get a notification. Anytime a response is made to a thread that you post in you get notified by email. It's a nice feature. It will only notify you once even if there are several replies. Click on the link in the email and go to that thread. Once you close it out if someone else posts you will get another email with as link. This continues until no one else is posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.