• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does a Fence Require a Permit?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
State or Country
California
Owner - Contractor - Design Professional
Other
We plan to install a new fence around our backyard. Is a building permit required for fencing projects?

Someone called to complain about a neighbour putting up a fence without a permit. So, I did get the unpermitted fence removed .
Sorry, a little late on this. If the fence was built properly, why didn’t you let them keep it and just pull a permit?

My county does not require a permit, but they do have construction requirements posted online.

What's the code basis for the fence construction requirements? Are the requirements based on the IBC/IRC, or are the requirements in zoning ordinances?
If the fence is part of a pool barrier then there are plenty of requirements. If it is in Miami-Dade or Broward County, which is considered a high velocity hurricane zone, then the FBC has requirements for the installation of a fence regardless of its location.

If the fence is part of a pool barrier then there are plenty of requirements. If it is in Miami-Dade or Broward County, which is considered a high velocity hurricane zone, then the FBC has requirements for the installation of a fence regardless of its location.

Yes, the pool barrier requirements apply across the country, as far as I know. Aside from that, I am not aware of any code requirements for the construction of fences in the ICC IBC or IRC.

Sorry, a little late on this. If the fence was built properly, why didn’t you let them keep it and just pull a permit?

My county does not require a permit, but they do have construction requirements posted online.
The fence that was constructed violated the zoning requirements. The people who built it didn't even want a fence, but with a new young child and having a neighbour with a grade-level pool without a fence, they didn't feel like they had an option.

They were very pleased with the outcome.