• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does a hotel with 24 hour staffing need to be monitored by the fire department?

ASchafer

Hi,

I have been tearing my hair out for several days trying to find the answer to this with no luck!

This is a multipart question. I need to be able to site the code to the owners so if you could guide me to the right sections that would be wonderful!

The property in question is a 69 room hotel located in north central Ohio.

1st: If a hotel is staffed 24 hours a day does the fire alarm system need to have an auto dialer or some other monitoring device installed to notify the local fire department of any alarm situations?

If the answer is no, ignore the rest!

2nd: Are actual alarm situations all that need to be reported or do all alarms including supervisory/trouble alarms need to be?

3rd: Is a dedicated phone line required for this and if so, can it be through a cable company telephone system or does it have to be a traditional land line?

Thank you so very much for any help you can offer!

Andy

ASchafer said:
Hi,I have been tearing my hair out for several days trying to find the answer to this with no luck!

This is a multipart question. I need to be able to site the code to the owners so if you could guide me to the right sections that would be wonderful!

1st: If a hotel is staffed 24 hours a day does the fire alarm system need to have an auto dialer or some other monitoring device installed to notify the local fire department of any alarm situations?

2nd: Are actual alarm situations all that need to be reported or do all alarms including supervisory/trouble alarms need to be?

3rd: Is a dedicated phone line required for this and if so, can it be through a cable company telephone system or does it have to be a traditional land line?

Andy
Try IFC 907 particularly 907.2.11.1 this should get you close to your answer

ASchafer said:
Hi,I have been tearing my hair out for several days trying to find the answer to this with no luck!

Andy
1. What code and edition is adopted today

2. Do you know what code was adopted when the building was built

3. What year was the building built

4 how are you connected with all this

Also, be aware of any local amendments to the Code.

Our jurisdiction requires automatic monitoring from a wireless company specified by the Fire District.

...and welcome to the forum

mj

Hello,

Welcome. Ohio here also.

1 - Yes

2 - Alarm only. Typically the smoke devices in the rooms are supervisory and alert the desk attendant who then responds. If common smoke devices are activated (hallways, storage roms, elevator equipment, etc.) or any pull station or waterflow it should be an alarm. Duct Smoke detectors can be supervisory also, but many require them to be alarm conditions too...up to the AHJ. The smoke detectors in handicapped rooms at our hotels also report as alarm conditions, for what it is worth.

3 - The communication is not required to be POTS, but it can vary by jurisdiction, I would again check with the AHJ. They are required to have two means of commuincation, so you could use two different types for communicating.

From the International Fire Code:

4603.6.5 Group R-1. A fire alarm system and smoke alarms shall be installed in existing Group R-1 occupancies in accordance with Sections 4603.6.5.1 through 4603.6.5.2.1.

4603.6.5.1 Group R-1 hotel and motel manual fire alarm system. A manual fire alarm system that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Section 907.6 shall be installed in existing Group R-1 hotels and motels more than three stories or with more than 20 sleeping units.

Exceptions:

1. Buildings less than two stories in height where all sleeping units, attics and crawl spaces are separated by 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction and each sleeping unit has direct access to a public way, egress court or yard.

2. Manual fire alarm boxes are not required throughout the building when the following conditions are met:

2.1. The building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2;

2.2. The notification appliances will activate upon sprinkler water flow; and

2.3. At least one manual fire alarm box is installed at an approved location.

4603.6.5.1.1 Group R-1 hotel and motel automatic smoke detection system. An automatic smoke detection system that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Section 907.6 shall be installed in existing Group R-1 hotels and motels throughout all interior corridors serving sleeping rooms not equipped with an approved, supervised sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.

Exception: An automatic smoke detection system is not required in buildings that do not have interior corridors serving sleeping units and where each sleeping unit has a means of egress door opening directly to an exit or to an exterior exit access that leads directly to an exit.

OFC 2011

907.6 Occupant notification systems. A fire alarm system shall annunciate at the panel and shall initiate occupant notification upon activation, in accordance with Sections 907.6.1 through 907.6.2.3.4. Where a fire alarm system is required by another section of this code, it shall be activated by:

1. Automatic fire detectors.

2. Sprinkler waterflow devices.

3. Manual fire alarm boxes.

4. Automatic fire-extinguishing systems.

Exception: Where notification systems are allowed elsewhere in Section 907 to annunciate at a constantly attended location.

So......it is an R-1 use group....the system is mandated by Code....regardless of the year it was built (says that in the Code)....but it can be a "local" alarm as long as it rings to a 24hr constantly attended location....as long as the front desk is staffed 24hrs...and the "clerk" is really there to answer....then it is my interpretation that it does NOT have to be monitored.....

Curious to see what everyone else has to say...............

BUT......the OFC also gives the AHJ the authority to go above and beyond what the MINIMUM STANDARDS are as set forth in it. So through local ordinances and whatnot, you could require it to be monitored as the AHJ......

I do not know which codes are adopted today or were adopted when the building was built.

This particular building was built in 2002 but we have 4 other properties that we are also trying to decide about that were built between 1997 and 2000. I was just using this one as an example since it is the biggest. :)

I am the head of maintenance for these properties and have been asked by the owners to find out about it. We recently bought 3 of these properties. The original 2 were never monitored but the 3 new acquisitions are so they want to know which is the right way. Unfortunately they don't want me to attract the attention of our AHJ or I would have just called him!

Thank you all for the information! It has definitely helped. It looks like it really boils down to what the AHJ decides he wants to see. I know him pretty well and he is a great guy who is willing to work with me. It is just a matter of convincing the owners that we won't be opening ourselves up to a massive issue just by calling him! It can sometimes be quite interesting working for paranoid folks! :)

Thanks again!

I'm sorry, I meant to include this in the last post! The code I finally landed on, after being given a good direction to look by you guys, is:

IFC 903.4.1 Monitoring.

Alarm, supervisory and trouble signals shall be distinctly different and shall be automatically transmitted to an approved supervising station or, when approved by the fire code official, shall sound an audible signal at a constantly attended location.

So like I said, after many hours of reading through codes and then throwing myself at your feet and begging for help, I still just need to call my AHJ and ask him! But at least now I can prove that to suits in the big office! :)

Thanks again!

Ok

Well if not monitored today, sounds like there was a reason the ahj allowed it to be that way.

Some hotels have a bad habit when it comes to fire alarm systems.

I would highly suggest from a liability stand point to get the systems monitored.

There are various methods to transmit the signal, I have not heard of using the cable telephone, yes it can be done through an Internet connection.

I would call three companies and have them look at the system and tell you all the possible ways they can do it.

One is if the ahj will allow it is by radio transmitter

All conditions of the fire alarm system report to the monitoring company, but normally only a true alarm is called to the FD

cda said:
OkWell if not monitored today, sounds like there was a reason the ahj allowed it to be that way.
That's what I was figuring but there is a new AHJ since we opened and my "superiors" are afraid to rock the boat by asking him questions. Personally, my first course of action would have been to call him since he is a very reasonable guy and I like him a lot! I actually look forward to my annual inspections because it is always a pleasant couple of hours chatting and swapping stories!

Thanks again for all the input!

So suggest to your owners to be proactive and install monitoring.

Once installed you pay for phone line and the monthly monitoring cost

Makes you look good!!!! Plus takes some liability off the owner

ASchafer,

What does your insurance company require? Will monitoring equal a lower premium? Suggest you contact them

to get their input!

I would also check to see if anyone has been doing any IT&M for the life safety systems. If so, are there any service or inspection reports? If not, contact the service agency for any reports. Then check for any deficiencies, and discuss those with the service company. It may be they were not allowed to repair problems. They may have decided they did not want to be liable if problems were not fixed, and refused to work at the property .

If we find problems, we try to work with the company. If we get a negative response from the owner, and if the problems are serious, I may contact the FM directly and send him copies of the service reports. You would be surprised how attitudes change when the FM requires a fire watch/threatens to shut down the operation.

We did check with the insurance and they don't require monitoring but will give us a small discount on premiums. Very small!

I am in charge of making sure our systems are inspected and maintained properly. All systems are in very good shape and operate properly. This question all came about because of the purchase of the other properties which are monitored. The management and maintenance for those properties insist they are required to be monitored, we, however, were under the impression we were not required to be.

I have been in charge of the two original properties for 11 years now and the Fire Marshal (who is the AHJ I have been referring to) hasn't said anything about monitoring when he has done my annuals. I'm not sure if that is because he just didn't think about it or because it doesn't matter to him.

I am hoping we will be figuring this out soon and I will be sure to let you all know what the result is.

Thanks again for all the input!

cda said:
Maybe he assumes they are monitored??
That is what I am kind of wondering. The FM that did our final inspection died a few weeks later and this guy took over so he wasn't involved with our initial setup at all. We tend to do a lot of chit chat during the inspections and I wonder if it just slips his mind. :)

Here we consider a constantly monitored location to require at least two people so they can take a bathroom or food break and maintain monitoring and these people would have to be properly trained to respond to any trouble, supervisory or alarm situations.

I believe the alarm sounding to the front desk meets the intent of the code... even with elevators. As long as the staff is trained to call 911.

midwestFCO said:
Hello,Welcome. Ohio here also.

1 - Yes

2 - Alarm only. Typically the smoke devices in the rooms are supervisory and alert the desk attendant who then responds. If common smoke devices are activated (hallways, storage roms, elevator equipment, etc.) or any pull station or waterflow it should be an alarm. Duct Smoke detectors can be supervisory also, but many require them to be alarm conditions too...up to the AHJ. The smoke detectors in handicapped rooms at our hotels also report as alarm conditions, for what it is worth.

3 - The communication is not required to be POTS, but it can vary by jurisdiction, I would again check with the AHJ. They are required to have two means of commuincation, so you could use two different types for communicating.
Sorry for digging up an old thread here, however, does anyone know what code defines that guest rooms in a hotel are allowed to be wired to a FACP as a supervisory signal? Is this only allowed in circumstances in which the front desk is constantly attended?

I'm assuming that this should be contained in one of the NFPA 72 editions, but haven't located it thus far. Any help is most appreciated.

firemanx said:
Sorry for digging up an old thread here, however, does anyone know what code defines that guest rooms in a hotel are allowed to be wired to a FACP as a supervisory signal? Is this only allowed in circumstances in which the front desk is constantly attended?I'm assuming that this should be contained in one of the NFPA 72 editions, but haven't located it thus far. Any hellp is most appreciated.
Are you talking about smoke alarms in a unit??

May be 101

Not IFC

Or the on site monitoring of a fire alarm system versus to a monitoring company???