• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does the floor have to be on the same elevation?

Tooz

Doing a major remodel, to include making the Florida room part of the interior: Do I need to make the floor level with the rest of the house? There's a 4" difference, which will require 4" of concrete added to existing Florida room slab (~600 SF)?
The stepdown will be a pain, but cost is an issue...
Thanks in advance,
Tooz

You could frame a wood floor on top of the slab. 3/4” ply over 2x4’s ripped slightly to size. Easy project.

You don't need to raise the floor to make it level, but if you stay in the house long enough you will be glad you did.

Generally, I would agree with those who have responded before me and say no.

That said, I do think it is worth mentioning that if this is a multi-family building, accessibility provisions may apply. Is this a SFD? Do you know if the unit is accessible (ADA)?