• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dollars as Decorations

Years ago on Bourbon Street in New Orleans I was drinking at this great bar with a terrific band when I noticed that the dollars bills pinned to the wall where over burnt bills that covered one wall and half way down the adjoining bar. Apparently there was a fire that quickly covered thirty or fourty feet of wall burning up these bills. The bar never removed the partialy burnt bills but just pinned new bill over them. I quess some people never learn.

Oldfieldguy: I don't know where you consider God's Country to be, but if those bills catch fire, it's going to look more like hell.

rnapier said:
Years ago on Bourbon Street in New Orleans I was drinking at this great bar with a terrific band when I noticed that the dollars bills pinned to the wall where over burnt bills that covered one wall and half way down the adjoining bar. Apparently there was a fire that quickly covered thirty or fourty feet of wall burning up these bills. The bar never removed the partialy burnt bills but just pinned new bill over them. I quess some people never learn.
Wow - that's very scary!

I just decided to risk being called a party-pooper and contact the local fire marshal. I've been called worse.

I heard back from the chief and he cc'd the fire inspectors. I mentioned the dollars and the inswinging doors in my email, and I tried to be tactful. He said that they take all reports seriously, but this isn't a new situation so it doesn't seem like it should have taken a report from a tourist to get the problems noticed. We don't use the IFC in Massachusetts so that may be the reason it hasn't been addressed. It's a good thing we weren't planning to go back to that resort...they would have given us the room directly above the arcade. Oh wait...they already did that.

Thanks Charles! I'm not about to get out my Tirrell burner and test the contents of my wallet (all the plastic would melt into a gooey mess), but Section 21 definitely applies to these "decorations." I highly doubt that the facility is treating the dollars with some sort of fire-retardant.

This morning the kids were talking about the science show we saw at the hotel and my 7YO son said that he really liked the hotel. I broke it to him that we couldn't go back there because I blew the whistle on them. Something new to hold over their heads..."Behave or I'll report your favorite places to the fire marshal and we will no longer be welcome there!"

Lori, that is awesome. Can't wait to pull that one on my 6 yr. old daughter. LOL oh man

LG

I am banned in a few states, but not like you "working on all fifty!!""

= =

Door Guru Lori,

You could send anonymous or personalized e-mails to various

newspapers, t.v. & radio stations with the applicable code sections

and ask why there is a known fire hazard allowed to exist &

continue?....Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, ...the media hyenas

might investigate it and have a story or two on it......Bad

publicity is a worse type of buzzkill.

From "The Daily Fish Wrap:" Local restaurant with fire

hazards threaten hundreds!....Story at 6 & 10.

FWIW, I agree that those hanging fire hazards are only one

drunk away from a fire event.

Also, I agree with educating your kids now as to discerning

"right" from "wrong"......These dollar bills are definitely "wrong!"

One last thing... One person CAN make a definite difference!

You are that person!

= =

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you North Star. I am hoping I won't have to go to the media with any of my "issues." I think (hope) most of them are due to misunderstandings or lack of maintenance and a little attention from the fire inspectors will take care of it. There have been several news reports lately about the slumlords' apartment buildings in Boston's Chinatown, and that was NOT ME! :)

Be careful Charles, I just might come to Texas!!

TheCommish said:
lGreen, how goes this issue?
The email from the chief cc'd the fire inspectors, but I haven't heard anything since. They may not get back to me about how it was resolved, especially if they decide to allow things to remain as-is. Unless there's something in the local paper about how some P.I.T.A. made the fire marshal tell the bar to get rid of the money, I may have to go down there and check it out to see what the outcome was.

It's almost summer...I'll be heading to your neck of the woods soon! :D

Found this on the ceiling of the local indoor skate boarding facility. Not sure if all this fiberglass and resin on the ceiling is good or not