• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dome Homes

This thread made me want to share how I work with an engineer regarding the code. I divide the code into two parts; structural and everything else. He is only responsible for structural (and it is my responsibility to tell him what doesn't comply) and I, as the designer, am responsible for everything else which is basically health, safety, energy etc. For example, I am working on a design where I want to attach the sill to the piers and set them 8' on center and the code calls for them to be spaced no more than 6' apart. I am planning to use a steel girder for the sill/band and large angle iron attachment brackets. It is my job to point out to the engineer that this does not meet prescrptive code, ask him to do calculations to see if it is as strong and if not, specify what is. In turn, those calculations should be a part of my plan submittal. But the code gives specific parameters that must be met for everything that is not structural in nature and just because an engineer would think it is OK and stamps it in no way makes it acceptable. It is my job to see that windows are large enough and close enough to the floor etc. There are areas regarding heat loss etc. that an engineer in thermal dynamics can help design specifications for but the materials and barriers still have to meet the fire code requirements related to safety.

GH Roberts,

I didn't say that I didn't want to be the first one to approve it. I said that our plans exaniner didn't want to be the first.

You're right in that that is no excuse to not approve something. That's why I told him I would help in his research by going to this board.

I can see his point in that when the neighbors see this thing going up, and they go to the city council and ask who approved this weird looking dome to be erected on the lot next to their house, he wants to be sure that the thing is fully vetted!

I love the thing and think it's great.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

I certainly understand why neighbors would not appreciate such a structure.

I expect that your office has a check list that includes what to do when the engineering issues are outside of your staff's areas of expertise.

Well, there's no basement under this one, but I'm sure that could be drawn in.

GH...I wish they did.

Jobsaver said:
I am not aware of this provision. Please explain or reference. Thanks.
Introduction

Internationally, code officials recognize the need for a modern, up-to-date energy conservation code addressing the design of energy-efficient building envelopes and installation of energy efficient mechanical, lighting and power systems through requirements emphasizing performance. The International Energy Conservation Code®, in this 2009 edition, is designed to meet these needs through model code regulations that will result in the optimal utilization of fossil fuel and nondepletable resources in all communities, large and small.

Well, maybe it doesn't say exactly what I'd like it to, but my position is that if a dwelling is providing its own renewable source of energy such as wood heat or alternative energy heat and there is no cooling load, the insulation requirements shouldn't apply.

Why would they?

Thanks Yankee. asking, "Why would they?" , while reading the code book is considered a violation by some.

One day, a man cut a tree down on his own property to build his own cabin, and the government said, you can't do that without first getting our permission. The man thought about it for awhile with this question in mind: "Why would they?"

Jobsaver said:
Thanks Yankee. asking, "Why would they?" , while reading the code book is considered a violation by some.One day, a man cut a tree down on his own property to build his own cabin, and the government said, you can't do that without first getting our permission. The man thought about it for awhile with this question in mind: "Why would they?"
A bit different scenario I'd say. If he cut his own tree down for the wood stove (and maybe planted another for the wood stove in 20 years), I'd say the energy code shouldn't apply or effect this system. If a man cuts a tree and builds his house, someone else will likely be living in it in during the building lifetime.