• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door clearance without closer

ELLEN09US

Is this statement correct?

If the door doesn't have closer, I don't need to provide door strike clearances for accessibility.

Thank you!

where what code edition and for what kind of door leading to what?

Short answer yes you do, maybe not as much

Is this statement correct?

If the door doesn't have closer, I don't need to provide door strike clearances for accessibility.

Thank you!
For a forward approach on the push side and for a hinge approach on the push side, no latch-side clearance is required. All other approaches require a latch-side clearance of various widths.

The corridor in 48" on both sides of the door. I just don't want to have a notch in the hallway to make the 18" strike clearance on both sides (push and pull). If I don't have a closer, no clearance required?
Thank you!

No latch too if to have no closer, must be resistance free and door face material must be able to resist impact for bottom 10".

I'd like to state the code reference more clearly, from ADAS (also CBC 11B) figure 404.2.4.1.
For a door with NO closer :
  • 18" additional strike side clearance for a front approach on the PULL side of the door; this increases to 24" if the pull side is on the exterior side of an exterior door (ADAS Fig 404.2.4.1 (a))
  • 0" additional strike side clearance for a front approach on the PUSH side of the door (ADAS Fig 404.2.4.1 (b))
Here's California's version of it:

1602612283123.png