• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door closers with hold open function?

JPohling

Sawhorse
It looks like most manufacturers of floor closers for glass doors require the doors to open past 105deg to activate the door hold open feature. That requires the hinge leg of the wall to be at least 12" from the perpendicular wall to allow this to occur. Are there any other options / manufacturers that allow this to occur without such a long wall on the hinge leg? How about overhead closers for a typical wood door, all have similar requirements? I am trying to minimize the hing leg wall length if possible.

Here's a couple to consider based on a quick web search:

DORMA 1800 Series electromagnetic surface applied, fire/life safety, hydraulic door closer with or without integral smoke detector – power supply to suit hold open (H) or swing free (SF) specification. The H model to have positive single-point hold open at any angle between 20° and 180° when current is applied.
Norton 7700: A spring-loaded buffer block at the point of hold open prevents over travel of the arm slide and provides a cushioned dead stop. Use of an additional wall or floor stop is always recommended.

I looked at the Rixson catalog and they offer floor closers with hold open at 85, 90, 95 degrees, etc. I don't know if they will work with your glass door, but I would call Lynn Kaiser at Rixson. She knows everything about floor closers. RIXSON

The LCN 2010 series is an overhead concealed closer with variable degrees of hold open: http://w3.securitytechnologies.com/irstdocs/catalog/105709.pdf