• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door(s) to unconditioned space

Mike Watterson

Just completed most of the framing for a master suite (single story ranch addition). Also, part of the addition is a 12'x16' office space that has an unconditioned room on each side that will be used as "attic" storage, although this is technically not an attic. It will be unheated and un-insulated. I live in the Seacoast area of New Hampshire and I am trying to figure out what is required by code. I would like to purchase and install solid pine six panel doors that I will weather strip. I do not want to install "exterior doors" for cost and to avoid the look of having an exterior door in an interior location (office space). Does anyone know if this solution will meet code?

I do not see that New Hampshire has amended Table R402.12, and I believe you will fall under Climate Zone 6....

So as long as the door that you install has a U-Factor of 0.32 or better, you should be ok. May be hard to get with a solid core door though.

Just completed most of the framing for a master suite (single story ranch addition). Also, part of the addition is a 12'x16' office space that has an unconditioned room on each side that will be used as "attic" storage, although this is technically not an attic. It will be unheated and un-insulated. I live in the Seacoast area of New Hampshire and I am trying to figure out what is required by code. I would like to purchase and install solid pine six panel doors that I will weather strip. I do not want to install "exterior doors" for cost and to avoid the look of having an exterior door in an interior location (office space). Does anyone know if this solution will meet code?
Thanks for the quick response. I'm in climate zone 5 Southern NH so I believe that means we need to get a U-value of .48 Your response allowed me to find the answer in ICC 2015 code. This was very helpful.

There is typically a U factor exemption for 1 door, but it needs to be weatherstripped...

N1102.3.4 (R402.3.4) Opaque door exemption. One sidehinged
opaque door assembly up to 24 square feet (2.22
m2) in area is exempted from the U-factor requirement in
Section N1102.1.2. This exemption shall not apply to the
U-factor alternative approach in Section N1102.1.4 and the
total UA alternative in Section N1102.1.5.

What I do in this situation is install two doors. An interior in swing that matches the homes interior doors, and an exterior out swing cheap insulated steel going into the unconditioned space. If you go with just the interior door you will have a cold drafty master suite.

What I do in this situation is install two doors. An interior in swing that matches the homes interior doors, and an exterior out swing cheap insulated steel going into the unconditioned space. If you go with just the interior door you will have a cold drafty master suite.
Thanks Jail for your suggestion and advice about the room being cold and drafty. I can't have an in swing door because the door is on a cheek wall of a dormer and would hit the bottom of the rafters. The goal was to meet code for inspection. I plan to insulate the unconditioned closet and use weather stripping on the door. If I insulate prior to inspection, the interior room could be counted as a bedroom which it isn't and will not be used as such. Thanks much.

If I insulate prior to inspection, the interior room could be counted as a bedroom which it isn't and will not be used as such. Thanks much.
Says who? The room is whatever you designate on the plans. The inspector cannot look into his crystal ball and say "this could be a bedroom (sleeping room)". If the plans say "office" then it's an office regardless of whether or not you insulate the "attic" storage.

Says who? The room is whatever you designate on the plans. The inspector cannot look into his crystal ball and say "this could be a bedroom (sleeping room)". If the plans say "office" then it's an office regardless of whether or not you insulate the "attic" storage.
From my past experiences as a contractor in Massachusetts this was a sticking point on two different occasions. I found that rather than arguing with an obstinate inspector, it's better to try to "get along" and not invite unwanted or inquiries.