• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door size from house to garage

2012 & 2018 IPMC (International Property Maintenance Code) 304.15 Doors. Requires locks at all entrances to dwelling units and sleeping unis shall tightly secure the door. Locks on means of egress doors shall be in accordance with section 702.3.

Check California code, may have something similar.

You're kidding about California &smoke alarms I hope... this is California, we gotta have hurricane straps on trusses. We have to have a smoke alarm for every bedroom & outside each sleeping area. sill plates need to be anchored with 1/2in bolt embedded in concrete 7inches & have 3"x3" steel washer &within 12inches of the end of sill plates & no more than every 6ft. There's so many ridiculous codes in California. I can't have an electric tankless water heater because of efficiency issues. We have "Green codes" & "energy standards commision" codes. Even the building inspector himself said, "some codes are only in place because someone like Simpson gave a politician a big bag of money to make it code, like for hurricane straps for instance" if you live in California prepare to pay pay pay. I think I pay road taxes 3-4different ways, &our roads are garbage patch jobs &feels like you're on a dirt road most of the time.
Are you suggesting that it's "ridiculous" to transfer the seismic and high wind forces from a roof to a foundation using ties and anchors? There are many life safety issues that have been unduly influenced by builder organizations but the Simpson Strong-Tie Co. was founded in 1956 and the requirement for "adequate anchorage of the roof to walls ... and of walls to the foundations to resist overturning, uplift, and sliding ..." was already in ICBO's Uniform Building Code used in California. It is serious business when someone takes responsibility for the design or inspection of a building therefore fantasies should be left behind.

2012 & 2018 IPMC (International Property Maintenance Code) 304.15 Doors. Requires locks at all entrances to dwelling units and sleeping unis shall tightly secure the door. Locks on means of egress doors shall be in accordance with section 702.3.

Check California code, may have something similar.
We do not adopt the property maintenance code in Massachusetts, I know the tenant suitability codes on rental properties require looks on the exterior doors

... Even the building inspector himself said, "some codes are only in place because someone like Simpson gave a politician a big bag of money to make it code, like for hurricane straps for instance" if you live in California prepare to pay pay pay...

I would be interested to see his uplift calculations demonstrating that they are not necessary on any construction. Sure, on some it may not be necessary, but when you have a prescriptive code, everything is treated as the worst case. The alternative is for the builder or owner to enlist RDPs who will design everything for them.