• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door swinging into each other

gnarkill283

Just received comments from DOB that our exterior elevator machine room door swings into the path of an exterior elevator vestibule door both swinging outwards. Can it be argued that the elevator machine room door is rarely in use and only by personnel thus the overlapping door swings is not a concern?

Will you further describe this;;

“exterior elevator vestibule door”

Its just a door leading to the exterior on the roof which could be used in a fire situation to reach the fire stairs

Its just a door leading to the exterior on the roof which could be used in a fire situation to reach the fire stairs

Sounds like a stretch, Plus wont the elevator equipment room door have a closing device anyway???

With out seeing a sketch, can one of the doors swing the opposite way?

Shirley it is this.....

1005.7.1 Doors. Doors, when fully opened, shall not
reduce the required width by more than 7 inches (178
mm). Doors in any position shall not reduce the required
width by more than one-half.

The elevator room door block more than 50% of the required width at the vestibule door....
So what you are saying is that in an emergency situation I'm in the vestibule and for some reason the elevator machine room door is open it blocks my exit through the vestibule door down to the stair core. What if I flip the swing of the elevator machine room door. In an open position it will not effect the swing of the vestibule door and then I'm ok?

So what you are saying is that in an emergency situation I'm in the vestibule and for some reason the elevator machine room door is open it blocks my exit through the vestibule door down to the stair core. What if I flip the swing of the elevator machine room door. In an open position it will not effect the swing of the vestibule door and then I'm ok?

Posting a simple drawing would help