• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doorbell Transformer Code?

Trevor Roper

My parents have recently moved into a newly constructed house with a finished basement. Therefore the breaker is installed in a bedroom in the basement, and the doorbell transformer is sticking out of the wall about 2-3 inches from the breaker.

I understand why it is installed there, so my question is if there is a cover box that you can put over to hide the transformer, or if that’s even allowed/to code. I tried doing a little research and saw that it should be exposed. If so, (just for my knowledge), why is that / what hazards does that create?

live in Massachusetts if that’s important

The transformer, although small, can generate some heat. The best thing to do is look at the unit to identify make and model, then contact the manufacturer.

Putting a cover over the transformer may cause excessive heat to build up, causing the unit to fail (possible fire). A lot of units in production today have a thermal cut off that will shut the unit down when heat builds up, but if it doesn't have one, or doesn't function properly, the results could be catastrophic.

Agree with above

Most are in a closet ceiling

I could see a metal cover with vents, if needed drill the holes yourself

We see them usually attached to the side of the breaker panel.

Wonder how may homies remodel the basement and cover over them?

The things that keep me up at night...