• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doors for masonry wood burning fireplace

VLADIMIR LEVIN

Correct me if I'm wrong, but fireplace doors aren't required if you have a tight fitting flue damper?

In which code?

Without opening them, I am certain the IBC/IRC does not address fireplace doors.

The IECC would in a roundabout way, through building envelope leakage rates.

I don't know about New York state but here in California a glass door is required by the Energy Code.

Flue dampers are seldom a tight fit and if there is gas plumbed to the fireplace for a gas log the damper requires hardware to prevent a tight fit.

Fireplace doors was a topic of discussion here some years ago. Several members (mtlogcabin) provided reasons to never install a door on a fireplace.

I just looked at the Residential Code and I did not find a requirement for a door and curiously, no requirement for outside air. Shirley I missed something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but fireplace doors aren't required if you have a tight fitting flue damper?
Depends on which version of the code you are using.
I just looked at the Residential Code and I did not find a requirement for a door and curiously, no requirement for outside air. Shirley I missed something.
I didn't think California allowed wood-burning appliances.

2009 IRC

N1102.4.3 Fireplaces. New wood-burning fireplaces shall have gasketed doors and outdoor combustion air.

2012 IRC

N1102.4.2 (R402.4.2) Fireplaces.
New wood-burning fireplaces shall have tight-fitting flue dampers and outdoor combustion air.

2015 IRC

R1006.1 Exterior air.
Factory-built or masonry fireplaces covered in this chapter shall be equipped with an exterior air supply to ensure
proper fuel combustion unless the room is mechanically ventilated and controlled so that the indoor pressure is neutral
or positive.

N1102.4.1.2(R402.4.1.2) Testing.

R1004.5 Gasketed fireplace doors.
A gasketed fireplace door shall not be installed on a factory-built fireplace except where the fireplace system has been
specifically tested, listed and labeled for such use in accordance with UL 127.

New wood-burning fireplaces shall have tight-fitting flue dampers or doors, and outdoor combustion air. Where using
tight-fitting doors on factory-built fireplaces listed and labeled in accordance with UL 127, the doors shall be tested
and listed for the fireplace. Where using tight-fitting doors on masonry fireplaces, the doors shall be listed and labeled
in accordance with UL 907.

Flue dampers are seldom a tight fit and if there is gas plumbed to the fireplace for a gas log the damper requires hardware to prevent a tight fit.
I thought that was only a requirement if the gas logs had a pilot light, I thought if they didn't and the gas had to be turned on manually that wasn't the requirement.

Depends on which version of the code you are using.

2009 IRC

N1102.4.3 Fireplaces. New wood-burning fireplaces shall have gasketed doors and outdoor combustion air.

2012 IRC

New wood-burning fireplaces shall have tight-fitting flue dampers and outdoor combustion air.

2015 IRC

R1006.1 Exterior air.
Factory-built or masonry fireplaces covered in this chapter shall be equipped with an exterior air supply to ensure
proper fuel combustion unless the room is mechanically ventilated and controlled so that the indoor pressure is neutral
or positive.

N1102.4.1.2(R402.4.1.2) Testing.

R1004.5 Gasketed fireplace doors.
A gasketed fireplace door shall not be installed on a factory-built fireplace except where the fireplace system has been
specifically tested, listed and labeled for such use in accordance with UL 127.

New wood-burning fireplaces shall have tight-fitting flue dampers or doors, and outdoor combustion air. Where using
tight-fitting doors on factory-built fireplaces listed and labeled in accordance with UL 127, the doors shall be tested
and listed for the fireplace. Where using tight-fitting doors on masonry fireplaces, the doors shall be listed and labeled
in accordance with UL 907.
2020 ECCC of NYS R402.4.2- New wood burning fireplaces shall have tight-fitting flue dampers or doors, and outside air combustion.

Probably in mechanical code and/or energy code. Our Res code doesn't have all that included like the IRC does.

Fireplaces are allowed to be built but not allowed to be used.....well that depends on the location....here is southern Califoprnia there is an agency named Air Quality Management District. AQMD has rules.

N1102.4.2 (R402.4.2) Fireplaces. New wood-burning fireplaces shall have tight-fitting flue dampers or doors, and outdoor combustion air. Where using tight-fitting doors on factory-built fireplaces listed and labeled in accordance with UL 127, the doors shall be tested and listed for the fireplace. Where using tight-fitting doors on masonry fireplaces, the doors shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 907.

ICE
SECTION R1006
EXTERIOR AIR SUPPLY

R1006.1 Exterior air.
Factory-built or masonry fireplaces covered in this chapter shall be equipped with an exterior air supply to ensure proper fuel combustion unless the room is mechanically ventilated and controlled so that the indoor pressure is neutral or positive.

R1006.1.1 Factory-built fireplaces.
Exterior combustion air ducts for factory-built fireplaces shall be a listed component of the fireplace and shall be installed in accordance with the fireplace manufacturer’s instructions.

R1006.1.2 Masonry fireplaces.
Listed combustion air ducts for masonry fireplaces shall be installed in accordance with the terms of their listing and the manufacturer’s instructions.

R1006.2 Exterior air intake.
The exterior air intake shall be capable of supplying all combustion air from the exterior of the dwelling or from spaces within the dwelling ventilated with outdoor air such as nonmechanically ventilated crawl or attic spaces. The exterior air intake shall not be located within the garage or basement of the dwelling. The exterior air intake, for other than listed factory-built fireplaces, shall not be located at an elevation higher than the firebox. The exterior air intake shall be covered with a corrosion-resistant screen of 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) mesh.

R1006.3 Clearance.
Unlisted combustion air ducts shall be installed with a minimum 1-inch (25 mm) clearance to combustibles for all parts of the duct within 5 feet (1524 mm) of the duct outlet.

R1006.4 Passageway.
The combustion air passageway shall be not less than 6 square inches (3870 mm2) and not more than 55 square inches (0.035 m2), except that combustion air systems for listed fireplaces shall be constructed in accordance with the fireplace manufacturer’s instructions.

R1006.5 Outlet.
The exterior air outlet shall be located in the back or side of the firebox chamber or shall be located outside of the firebox, at the level of the hearth and not greater than 24 inches (610 mm) from the firebox opening. The outlet shall be closable and designed to prevent burning material from dropping into concealed combustible spaces.