• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

DOT cylinder minimum spacing outside house: NFPA 58 vs ICC

raldure

I see where NFMA 58 Appendix I shows minimum spacing requirements for DOT cylinders up to 100# not filled on site:
  • 3' min from cyl to crawl space opening
  • 3' min from cyl to edge of window
  • 5' min from cyl to intake to direct vent appliance
  • 5' min btw relief valve discharge and external source of ignition (AC, direct vent, or mechanical venitalition system (attic fan)
Please let me know if the ICC/IFGC (2018+) handles clearances differently - didn't see anything, but I could have searched with wrong words. I am trying to do some prep work to lower the chance of needing expensive changes and needed some help before getting permit and quotes.

Ralph

It references NFPA 58 for LPG storage
2018 IFGC
401.2 Liquefied petroleum gas storage.
The storage system for liquefied petroleum gas shall be designed and installed in accordance with the International Fire Code and NFPA 58.