• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Double top plate header?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Yes, this is what we found.

View attachment 1935

Guess what? It actually works, even with a 40# GSL. You see, there is going to be a deck over the top of this and it is only a 6' span. We ended up accepting this because he produced paperwork from an engineer showing that a double 2x4 on the flat works.You never know.View attachment 1935

/monthly_2013_09/IMG_3259.jpg.4c75f322ed08a73ca8e5840774722282.jpg

As long as you get the stamp.......you won't find it in the prescriptive codes. I would not have thought it so.......hmmmm, outside the box.

Probably a double 2x6? Is that the header or is the rim joist the header?

Thats a first for me, see you can teach old dogs new tricks with these fancy computer programs!

Check IECC for ceiling insulation requirements, probably going to use spray insulation I bet?

pc1

It may not. If the overhang is minimal and a 2X fascia board was used some of the loads will be transferred to the other rafters.

I doubled the versu rims on my 1st floor openings and hung the floor I-joist at the opening locations. Eliminated all headers up to a 6ft opening.

He could be doing the same thing with dimensional lumber

Many ways to skin a cat without engineering

Appears as though the rim joist was designed to carry the load of the 3 floor joists tying into it. The "Header" looks to be nothing more than a continuation of the wall and solid backing for securing the wall cladding and door trim. Based of course on the fact that it had an engineer's approval.