• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Draft Curtains

SMiles

I am not able to locate any design requirements for "Draft Curtains" as it relates to IBC 2015 section 1019.3 Exit Access Stairways and Ramps, as mentioned in exception 4. Furthermore it seems a lot of references interchangeably use "Smoke Barrier" and "Draft Curtain" which does not seem correct base on the definition in IBC. I am specifically looking for height/offset requirements from ceiling for a draft curtain. Any information would be helpful.
Thank you - SM

This???

4. Exit access stairways and ramps in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, where the area of the vertical opening between stories does not exceed twice the horizontal projected area of the stairway or ramp and the opening is protected by a draft curtain and closely spaced sprinklers in accordance with NFPA 13. In other than Group B and M occupancies, this provision is limited to openings that do not connect more than four stories.

This is something on which both the ICC and NFPA have failed to coordinate and be consistent. "Draft curtain" is only used twice in the IBC and is not defined. A "draftstop," on the other hand, is defined; however, by that definition, it does not really describe the function that a draft curtain is intended to provide per the IBC references. Those IBC references do mention NFPA 13, which does have a definition for "draft curtain" that conforms to the function intended in the IBC. However, in NFPA 13 Section 8.15.4, which addresses vertical openings (the same application mentioned in the IBC), they call it a "draft stop" (notice that its two words versus the one word used in the IBC). Oddly, "draft stop" is not defined in NFPA 13. Regardless, this section in NFPA 13 provides some basic criteria for the draft curtain/draft stop.

Reactions: JBI
RLGA has it:::

Do not know why I cannot cut and paste it??

from 2016 NFPA 13 ::

Attachments

• 8.pdf
    98.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Like I said first why do you think you need it??

What kind of building/ business is this?

What are you trying to protect with this??

There is also "escalator openings 712.1.3, 712.1.3.1, 712.1.3.2 If you happen to be doing that

This???

4. Exit access stairways and ramps in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, where the area of the vertical opening between stories does not exceed twice the horizontal projected area of the stairway or ramp and the opening is protected by a draft curtain and closely spaced sprinklers in accordance with NFPA 13. In other than Group B and M occupancies, this provision is limited to openings that do not connect more than four stories.
There is also "escalator openings 712.1.3, 712.1.3.1, 712.1.3.2 If you happen to be doing that
Its an office building that Exit Access Stairway that connects 3 floors. the first two floors have open sides / railings. Normally this would have to be enclosed in 2 hour construction but I found the exception 4 that you referenced above. Unfortunately I cannot find any design requirements for a draft curtain. I need to review what you had posted from RLGA.
Thanks for the response!

This is something on which both the ICC and NFPA have failed to coordinate and be consistent. "Draft curtain" is only used twice in the IBC and is not defined. A "draftstop," on the other hand, is defined; however, by that definition, it does not really describe the function that a draft curtain is intended to provide per the IBC references. Those IBC references do mention NFPA 13, which does have a definition for "draft curtain" that conforms to the function intended in the IBC. However, in NFPA 13 Section 8.15.4, which addresses vertical openings (the same application mentioned in the IBC), they call it a "draft stop" (notice that its two words versus the one word used in the IBC). Oddly, "draft stop" is not defined in NFPA 13. Regardless, this section in NFPA 13 provides some basic criteria for the draft curtain/draft stop.
Ok I will check it out - I appreciate the input.

Thanks cda and RLGA! The NFPA 13 - Section 8.15.4 is exactly what I needed. I can at least reference something if asked to defend the design and detailing. Thank you both for your help - This site is great!

Thanks cda and RLGA! The NFPA 13 - Section 8.15.4 is exactly what I needed. I can at least reference something if asked to defend the design and detailing. Thank you both for your help - This site is great!

I do not think you need it.

Not in the office, but look for the section in chapter 7 on vertical shafts.

You can have two floors open to each other max. But I am not sure if it is for " non required exit use'"???

The draft curtain and sprinklers are only needed for certain size openings, not all openings.

""In other than Group B and M occupancies,""

Not sure what that means??

Last edited:
Should have asked new or existing building ??

If existing are you doing some remodel work

If existing is this stair set up already there??

712.1.9 Two-story openings.
In other than Groups I-2 and I-3, a vertical opening that is not used as one of the applications listed in this section shall be permitted if the opening complies with all of the items below:

1. Does not connect more than two stories.

2. Does not penetrate a horizontal assembly that separates fire areas or smoke barriers that separate smoke compartments.

3. Is not concealed within the construction of a wall or a floor/ceiling assembly.

4. Is not open to a corridor in Group I and R occupancies.

5. Is not open to a corridor on nonsprinklered floors.

6. Is separated from floor openings and air transfer openings serving other floors by construction conforming to required shaft enclosures.

""In other than Group B and M occupancies,""

Not sure what that means??
It means that this provision is permitted for up to four floors except for Groups B and M, which can go higher than four floors.

Draft stops are required to be 500mm (20") deep and provided immediately adjacent to and surrounding the opening in our code.

I will review those sections again this morning. It is new construction, and the vertical stair shaft connects 3 floors total, the 3rd floor is enclosed but there is no separation between 2nd and 3rd vertically. It is a required exit access for me, but under 50 occupants. This is great dialogue, I really appreciate all of the input.

I will review those sections again this morning. It is new construction, and the vertical stair shaft connects 3 floors total, the 3rd floor is enclosed but there is no separation between 2nd and 3rd vertically. It is a required exit access for me, but under 50 occupants. This is great dialogue, I really appreciate all of the input.

So is there seperation between 1 and 2?

Are there two other enclosed exits to use??

Will have to read the atrium definition

You actually have to look at Section 712 first. This section gives you all of the options available for handling vertical openings, and an atrium is just one of the many options. One of the other options is the exit access stairway and ramp option per Section 1019. If the project complies with this, then the atrium option does not apply. However, there is a concern with travel distance. If the only means of egress is down an exit access stairway, the distance includes the stairway, by measuring along the slope of the stairs, until a qualifying exit is reached.

There is no separation between levels 1,2 or 3. There is only one other enclosed exit so this one has to be used as a exit access stairway.

Interesting, have not seen that provision used, except maybe in multi floor store, and mainly for the escalators, not a required exit??