• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Draft Curtains

i found this thread because i have a similar issue. my client wants a new stairway built from the main level on offices on the second level. this a B occupancy, 3 story building with a basement and is equipped with an automatic sprinkler system. all levels have existing and adequate access and egress. at the new stairway. The building official calling this new stairway an Exit Access Stairway per 1009.3. and is requiring a Draft Curtain. The existing main stairway from 1st to 2nd floor is not enclosed nor does it have a Draft Curtain........in fact i am not sure if i have ever seen a Draft Curtain in a B occupancy. we are confused as to why we cannot simply add another stairway without all this complexity. look forward to your input. Cheers!

i found this thread because i have a similar issue. my client wants a new stairway built from the main level on offices on the second level. this a B occupancy, 3 story building with a basement and is equipped with an automatic sprinkler system. all levels have existing and adequate access and egress. at the new stairway. The building official calling this new stairway an Exit Access Stairway per 1009.3. and is requiring a Draft Curtain. The existing main stairway from 1st to 2nd floor is not enclosed nor does it have a Draft Curtain........in fact i am not sure if i have ever seen a Draft Curtain in a B occupancy. we are confused as to why we cannot simply add another stairway without all this complexity. look forward to your input. Cheers!
Just to be clear, the new stairway is only connecting the first and second story and not the third story and basement, correct?

Exception 1 of Section 1009.3 would apply in your case, and it does not require draft curtains or a sprinkler system.

it is open. exception 3 appears to indicate that a draft curtain and closely spaced sprinklers are required.
But you don't need to use Exception 3, because Exception 1 can be used instead, since you're only connecting two stories and your building is not a Group I-2 or I-3.

ah... the forest from the trees! Thanks for that. Cheers M8TEE!

Now you can donate just a little money and become a sawhorse on this forum

And keep supporting the self supporting forum
Of those lost in the code zone!!!'

with pleasure! Where would i do that?

Try it this way first

Click on the face in upper right side

Go to "account upgrade"

Go to bottom for one year or jump in at the top

You want "sawhorse"

If that does not work just post and we will figure it out

It uses PayPal to pay normally

I have the same scenario and would think of using exception 1 from 2015 IBC 1019.3 - " 1.Exit access stairways and ramps that serve or atmospherically communicate between only two stories. Such interconnected stories shall not be open to other stories." However, the such interconnected stories shall not be open to other stories is my issue. In an area probably 40 feet away from my stair, the level 2 has an opening to level 3. Does this ruin this exception for me?

I have the same scenario and would think of using exception 1 from 2015 IBC 1019.3 - " 1.Exit access stairways and ramps that serve or atmospherically communicate between only two stories. Such interconnected stories shall not be open to other stories." However, the such interconnected stories shall not be open to other stories is my issue. In an area probably 40 feet away from my stair, the level 2 has an opening to level 3. Does this ruin this exception for me?

Good question !!

Check thru this thread

Especially # 25

Yes. What you describe would be three atmospherically connected stories.

I know this is quite an old thread, but hoping someone knows the answer. What thickness of glass should be used in a smoke baffle? And how far apart can the hanging pcs be? (there is a length of 24' that I am assuming we should split into 5 equal pcs for ease of install but am not sure about the code on that). Also- can we use a typical aluminum u-channel with rubber, or must we use the heavy shoe baffle through CRL?

I know this is quite an old thread, but hoping someone knows the answer. What thickness of glass should be used in a smoke baffle? And how far apart can the hanging pcs be? (there is a length of 24' that I am assuming we should split into 5 equal pcs for ease of install but am not sure about the code on that). Also- can we use a typical aluminum u-channel with rubber, or must we use the heavy shoe baffle through CRL?
I don't believe there's a minimum glass thickness, but most are 1/2-inch thick, tempered. The size doesn't matter as long as the adjacent individual panels are installed butted up to each other. As for mounting, I'd go with a system that is designed for that purpose, such as CRL's. Using a channel with a rubber gasket may hold the glass initially, but the force of gravity and small vibrations in the building over time will likely cause the glass to fall out.

Here is the IBC commentary, if you do not have it. Great resource

It is 2012 but the major stuff has not changed

http://diberville.ms.us/home/wp-con...C-Code-And-Commentary-Volume-I_Compressed.pdf

the section you reference in the 2015 is 1009.3 in the 2012. It shows an example of the draft curtain.

http://diberville.ms.us/home/wp-con...-Code-And-Commentary-Volume-II_Compressed.pdf
I was researching tempered versus laminated for the draft curtains and found your post - do you have a new link to 2015?